Possible DNS issue with iOS devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-06 15:48:21 - last edited 2019-08-06 15:51:28
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: version before 1.3.1

There are up to 3 iPhones and 2 iPads connected to my Deco M5 system at any given time.

1 or more of the iOS devices will randomly not be able to connect to the internet but is still connected to wifi. Sometimes it requires a full restart of my modem an router. Sometime I just need to restart the iOS devices that are affected. Sometimes they fix themselves on their own after sitting for a little bit.

Anyone else having them same or similar issue?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Possible DNS issue with iOS devices
2019-08-06 16:23:03

@usernameunknown 

You could try to use Google's DNS servers on the Deco to see if that helps or you can use the address on the devices themselves.

To change the Decos DNS servers, connect to its Wi-Fi, then in the Deco app go to Advanced. Tap on IPV4, then tap Internet Connection Type, untick Obtain DNS Automatically.

Primary DNS

Secondary DNS

To undo the settings, just tick Obtain DNS Automatically.

Options
Re:Re:Possible DNS issue with iOS devices
2019-08-06 16:30:35

I will give that a shot when I get home from work today.

Is doing that different than setting primary and secondary DNS under Advanced -> DHCP Server?

Options
Re:Re:Re:Possible DNS issue with iOS devices
2019-08-06 17:29:57

usernameunknown wrote

I will give that a shot when I get home from work today.

Is doing that different than setting primary and secondary DNS under Advanced -> DHCP Server?

@usernameunknown 

Setting DNS in the WAN is what the router will direct the clients to head to. If you set the DNS in DHCP Server, then the connected clients themselves will head there.

By default the DNS Server has the clients point to the router, then the routers DNS server point the clients where to go.

Options
Re:Re:Re:Re:Possible DNS issue with iOS devices
2019-08-07 17:37:46

I set primary and secondary to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 on DHCP and IP4 and that seems to have taken care of the issue.

I will continue to monitor over the next few days.

Options
2021-08-10 12:18:54

@Tony even i tried that with the google dns server's and it only works fine for a few hours, but we would like to know the explanation to why this behaviour is occuring and how can you all at tplink address this issue.

It's very frustating and I do not want to use google dns server's, as want to use my ISP dns server's for best surfing.

Options
2021-08-10 12:19:55
but why do we have to use dns server's of google, in other words are you pointing out an issue or bug within the firmware
Options
2021-08-11 01:36:15 - last edited 2021-08-11 01:39:38

@fahadmohammed81 

Hi, the previous discussion is more based on the LAN DNS server under DHCP.

The default LAN DNS server is optional and left blank.

But if you manually set up your own DNS serve like 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1, or 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4, the third DNS server 192.168.68.1(or the LAN IP Of Deco) would still work as a backup DNS server.

This feature is planned to be optimized with a future firmware upgrade.

And there is another DNS under IPv4(also called WAN DNS) which is assigned by the ISP automatically(if there is another router before Deco and the DNS would sync from the first router.)

Sometimes, we would suggest users change the WAN DNS to be 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 since Google has the most powerful DNS and could resolve many domain names; and could fix the issue that some websites could not be accessed because the ISP’ DNS server failed to resolve these sites.

If the Deco was set up as an access point, all the DNS settings would sync from the main Deco and it would not have its own DNS settings.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1789

Replies: 7

Related Articles