Archer A20: No Internet through unmanaged switch

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-08-20 22:58:27
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20181122 rel.29339(5553)

I bought this router on Prime Day in July so I don't have much history with it.  About a week ago, I lost all networking--wired and wireless.  I tried to login to the router to check it out and it seems that all my config had somehow been blown away.  I had to completely start from scratch (new login, password, etc.).  I thought this was odd but let it go.

Today, I lost internet connectivity.  i was able to access the router from my PC but I could not get out to the net via wired or wireless connection.  I rebooted the router, and the wireless connection to the internet was restored.  My wired connection was not.  So, I connected a cable to the router and tried with a laptop.  I could access it via wired connection there.  So, then I tried with the same laptop and cable off my unmanaged switch.  No connection.  I disconnected the ethernet cable from the swtich and connected it to the laptop.  I had a wired connection.  So, I swapped the switch for a different one.  No wired connection.

So, I can get wireless connection.  I can get wired connection if I connect directly to the router.  I cannot get wired connection when going through an unmanaged swtich.  Both of the switches were the same model: Trendnet TEG-S80g.

Anyone have any ideas?

Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer A20: No Internet through unmanaged switch
2019-08-21 18:47:27

@g1eagle 

When you are connecting your computer through the switch, what IP address does the computer get? When you connect directly to the router, what IP do you get?

When you are connected through the switch are you able to ping the router IP address?

Options
Re:Re:Archer A20: No Internet through unmanaged switch
2019-08-28 12:34:19

Thanks for your reply.  I have been away and am just now getting back to this.

There is no IP address through the switch because the router isnt seeing the wired connection.  I could only get an IP if I allowed the PC to connect wirelessly.  I did not look at the IP address when connecting directly.  Too late for that now...

I called TP Link and they wouldn't budge from blaming the switch even though I explained that I had tried 3 switches and also had the same issue when plugging directly into the router before I rebooted it.  So, I Amazoned me up a TP-Link swtich thinking I would install it on the network the next day and then TP Link would stop blaming my switches.  Well, wouldn't you know the problem had magically gone away when I awoke the next day.  So, I have not had a chance to do any more troubleshooting.

Options
2019-08-28 19:25:31

@g1eagle 

Sounds like some sort of incompatibility between the router and switch. For being a simple unmanaged switch is very odd.

I'll shoot that off to HQ to see if I can get any sort of feedback. 

Options
2019-09-05 22:52:48

@g1eagle 

With respect to the Trendnet switch, which version were you using? Seems there are two versions. HQ wanted to know to try and test it.

Options
2019-09-06 15:24:17

TEG-S80G V2.1R

The setup has been stable since my last update and I have made no changes to it.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2852

Replies: 5