Deco M5 1.3.6 Firmware Guest Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 1.3.6 Firmware Guest Network

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
15 Reply
Re:Deco M5 1.3.6 Firmware Guest Network
2019-09-11 21:17:50

TheOne316 wrote

I have a concern about this being rolled out and the Guest Network being fully accessible to the main network.  I think this needs more time or a quick fix to the problem that is a known bug but has serious ramifications if someone that has Guest access can tamper with your main network.

@TheOne316 

There are a couple of things I wanted to clarify.

When the Deco is used as an AP, what you achieve with the guest network is the ability for devices that are only on the guest network from talking to each other. They can still ping or communicate with devices on the main network.

The reason is that the Deco is not operating as a router, it is doing nothing but fowarding the packets to your main router. That is all a access point does.

Now, if you want devices on your Deco guest network to not be able to talk to devices on the Deco main network, you must have the Deco in router mode, not AP Mode.

So going back to the original issue or question about the isolation feature on the guest network. This is my own opinion, but given how it is AP Mode that option is there ("Isolate from Main Network"). It seems more sensible to have it while in router mode. Since in router mode, you can control where the packets are going or the Deco has the ability to do that.

In the end you are trying to use the guest network as if it is a router which does not work that way. Set the Deco as a router, and then all devices on the guest network will not have access to your main network.

Options
2019-10-06 16:07:42

@Tony 

It would be nice to get a hybrid mode, so users can run in the Deco M5 in AP mode (so their home server can take care of things) but Guest runs as a isolated router. I'm sure this can be done in firmware.

Options
2019-10-07 15:38:30

@Debido666 

I know that our EAP business units support VLAN tagging for each wireless band so the user can control the traffic. I'll definately forwad that as a feature request.

Options
2019-10-30 01:02:35

@Tony  I am stuck on 1.3.1 and no updates showing.  Why am I unable to get anything above that?

Options
2019-11-04 22:46:35

@RetiredInFl 

If you are looking in the Deco app and it shows 1.3.1 is the latest then the firmware has not been loaded to our cloud server yet. 

What you can do is head to our main website, and download the latest firmware there (1.3.3). You would then log into your M5 router, and go to the system menu, and you will see the firwmare upgrade option, that is where you would upload the firmware file.

Here is a simple layout so you know where to go: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/kb/detail/326

You will log into the Deco M5 with your TP-Link Cloud password.

Options
Related Articles