Deco S4 Latest Firmware Update - Guest Network Isolation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-11 13:53:09
Model: Deco S4  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Deco S4(US)_V2_20200727

Question about the Deco S4 with the latest firmware update Deco S4(US)_V2_20200727: the previous firmware allowed me to have a switch on the app to say "Isolate Guest from Main Network" (or something like that).  After the latest firmware update, that switch no longer appears in my app.  

Also, the release notes for Deco S4(US)_V2_20200727 simply say:

Modifications and Bug Fixes: 
Enhanced total security.

1. Is the guest network isloated from the main network by default, then?

2. What other "enhancements" are inlcuded in the "Enhanced total security" for this firmware release?

Thanks.

Options
10 Reply
Re:Deco S4 Latest Firmware Update - Guest Network Isolation
2020-09-15 18:37:39

@Pocket-Sevens 

Which mode are you currently running the Deco in?

Options
2020-09-15 19:45:11

@Tony Hi Tony.  I'm using the Deco in router mode.

Options
2020-09-16 21:00:34

@Pocket-Sevens 

The Deco in router mode is likely why you do not see the option. If you were to switch the router to AP Mode that option should then come up. In router mode, it should isolate by default (isolate via VLAN 591).

Options
2020-09-17 14:36:03

@Tony Hi Tony.  Thanks for your reply.  It sounds like Guest Network isolation is working by default in router mode.  That is good. smiley

Two quick questions:

1. If I switched to AP mode, it sounds like there's a switch to have the guest network isolated.  Correct?  Is that also VLAN 591?
  2. Will guest network isolation work in AP mode if I have a WiFi backhaul?

Thank you so much for all of your help.  I truly appreciate it.

Options
2020-09-18 15:51:15

@Pocket-Sevens 

1. Yes, it would be the same VLAN

2. Yes, it would work in both wired and wireless backhaul.

Options
2020-09-24 21:28:13

@Tony Hi Tony.  Thank you so much for your help on this.  I noticed that, if I join the main network, I can ping other devices on the main network but not on the guest network.  If I'm on the guets network, I can't ping any device on either network.

I've also put the Deco in AP mode to have a separate router handle the router functions.  But, I've noticed that all devices use the same DHCP pool from the main network.  The DHCP pool I assigned for VLAN 591 isn't seeing any devices.  Mind you, I'm using a WiFi backhaul and I think I read somewhere that VLAN for WiFi backhaul may be working in a future firmware release.  Anyway, I've got things working now and really appreciate your help on this matter.

Thank you. smiley

Options
2021-10-10 00:44:13

@Pocket-Sevens  I Did the update firmware and I had to call the vendor Amazon for them to send me a new set of DECO S4 pack of 3 the main Deco crashed and all my network went down I got the new today but I am afraid to update the firmware please advise?

Options
2021-10-10 01:25:18

@Jsam1212 Hi there.  How did you do the firmware update?  Did you use the Deco app?  Or did you try to update the Deco through the web page?

Options
2021-10-10 16:03:45
I am using the app please advise.
Options
2021-10-11 06:51:12

@Jsam1212 

Hi, At the end of the setup, the firmware upgrade notification would pop out automatically and there is an option to update the firmware later.

And the firmware 1.5.0 build20210607 for Deco S4 has been released for a while and so far, I did not see any similar feedback.

Could you please provide more details about “the main Deco crashed”? Did you mean it is bricked, like a solid yellow LED, or the internet connection dropped put with a flashing red LED?

May I know who is your internet service provider?

Thank you very much.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1806

Replies: 10

Related Articles