Deco M5 and Guest Network Isolation

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-25 20:22:11
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.53

Hi Everyone.

I have an interesting challenge (well to me at least).

I have a Linksys dual wan router as I have 2 internet connections coming into my home.

My linksys does all the DHCP for the network. 

I use pihole as my dns server and have set DHCP to point everyone's DNS at pihole so that I don't have to run ad-blockers etc... it's a great piece of kit.

My Decos are set up in AP mode, I have 3 of them spread out across the house. They work really well, I'm very satisfied with their range, handover and performance. 

My issue is, whilst my normal wifi is perfect, guest mode doesn't allow internet access unless I allow access to my network (remove "isolate from network"), which defies the point of having a guest network. 

If I change my DNS to normal Open DNS / Google etc... on my Lnksys router, then the guest network can access the internet whilst being isolated from the home network.

So at a guess it's a routing issue? The M5s gets the internet access from the linksys, but since it's isolated from the network I'm guessing it can't access the DNS server (pihole) so can't resolve internet addresses? I can ping exdternal IP addresses, so it's getting "out", but because of pihole being "inside" the network I guess it can't work.

One solution would be to make my pihole server the DNS server, which is fine, but I was hoping to keep my linksys doing the DHCP function. 

Anyone else got anythoughts?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Deco M5 and Guest Network Isolation
2021-04-27 21:18:19

@will_r 

It seems some users connect via Ethernet to one network and Wi-Fi to another: https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/trying-to-use-wifi-and-ethernet-with-pihole/3066

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 773

Replies: 1

Related Articles