Ax11000 dropping 2.4ghz every other day

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Ax11000 dropping 2.4ghz every other day

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
124 Reply
Re:Ax11000 dropping 2.4ghz every other day
2020-08-31 22:38:59 - last edited 2020-08-31 22:40:01

@Skrybe I agree with you.   I've been running the beta firmware for a couple of months now and it's been nearly flawless.  Here's one thing that I just noticed that may help others that want to use Smart Connect but customize it a little.  This is on the BETA version, so I've not tested on other versions of the firmware.   If you want the channels to use a specific channel or bandwidth, just turn off Smart Connect (Advanced/Wireless settings), make the changes in the individual bands (i.e. set the channel to 11 on 2.4 or make the 5ghz channel ax only) then turn back on smart connect.  Smart connect will still work but it will follow the limitations you set for the individual bands.  You can't change the SSID, Password or the encryption individually as that would break Smart Connect, but the other settings seem to work.

Options
2020-09-01 03:07:05

oddly, i've not been running the beta firmware and basically by moving my channels after doing a wifi analysis, to ensure i don't collide, ive not had the issue

i am guessing the issue is something possibly related to collision of channels with others or moving of channels via use of AUTO and then not being able to sense that the channel has changed - maybe a problem with some devices like Google home or alexa?

Just grasping at straws, but the issue has stopped happening for me and I AM NOT USING BETA firmware, but the only thing I changed was making sure I knew via a wifi analyzer what other homes on my left and right channels were and then doing my best to avoid collision with them by manually setting my channels

has anyone else tried the above?

Options
2020-09-01 05:20:01

MartinKnutson wrote

samadril wrote

@tarund Thank you for posting this. I have been watching this thread and have been waiting for a fix. I just applied the beta and am now hopeful this will fix the issue. Link Much appriciated!!!!!

@samadril I'm interested in whether this resolves your issue, we have a new AX11000 that's been having similar stability issues (sometimes 2.4 won't accept new clients, sometimes it disappears completely) on 2.4 despite setting up a nightly reboot.  I did find another thread that suggested a different issue, with similar symptoms.  See https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1393/.  I had been experimenting with both a USB-A 3.0 drive as well as a USB-C 3.0 drive to use the NAS capabilities of the router,  and I'm disconnecting them for a trial period, to see if stability returns. 

I'll be bummed if this is the issue, as that feature was proving rather useful.  I read that a longer/better shielded cable might resolve the issue.  Maybe I can make a small faraday cage for it:-)

So far, a long (1m) cable has helped.  Maybe it's better shielded than the cable the USB-C drive came with.  In any case, running the non-Beta firmware, the 2.4 channels have been solid for several days now.   I haven't exercised the drive hard.  That's the next test.

Options
2020-09-04 17:13:37

@tarund wow, nice to see finally, but mine is working great with the beta.  Makes me worry about the upgrade.

Options
2020-09-06 04:17:07

@tarund 

Thanks for the notice

i am hesitant to upgrade given i've had such good stability ever since switching my channels and moving off the auto function (non-beta firmware)

will wait until this has been out longer

Options
2020-09-06 04:20:46

@ionizer5 I did a backup of my existing configuration file, and the beta firmware previously provided. Just in case. upgraded this morning, seems to be working fine. 

Options
2020-09-06 04:27:05

@shaywood 

thanks, let us know how it goes on a weekly basis if u can!

Options
2020-09-06 12:14:51

@tarund 

The latest firmeware is working great for me too.  Because I was on the beta, I thought it would be best to do a factory restore and start clean.  It's been flawless.

Options
2020-09-14 01:13:56

Just an update to folks on the latest firmware update.  I had been using the beta with great results.  Completed the firmware update, without a factory reset. Over the cross of a few days my 5ghz devices stayed connected, but the Internet was unreliable.  I switched to "smart connect" last night and since then have no problems with any devices. I have approx 70 2.4 and 5ghz devices. Hopefully, it will continue to work well.  I tried to go back to the beta, but the update failed. I didn't try a 30-30-30 reset. 

Options
2020-09-14 01:34:21

@Jerryb 

Why not try factory reset after updating to the latest and then re-entering all of the info?  This way you know nothing got corrupted...

Options