Can't transfer files between LAN clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-09 14:36:11
Model: Archer C2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.3

I view my network from my office computer.  It is WIFI and Windows 10.  All my other clients are wired.  I can see them in "network and devices".  Unlike with my previous router, I can not transfer files.  I look in the left pane of File Explorer and cannot find a link under "This Computer" as I did with my previous router.

I called support and they advised the C2300 was not capable of file transfer between LAN clients.  The only way one can transfers files is with a device that is plugged into the C2300 via USB.

I have my office desktop, my 2 MY BOOK LIVE NAS Devices, and my Nvidia Shield Pro that I need to transfer files between.  Is it true that the C2300 cannot do that?

I notice in the TP Link web page that IPv6 is not turned on.  Should it be?  Suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill

Options
19 Reply
Re:Can't transfer files between LAN clients
2019-12-09 14:52:15
As far as the IPv6 goes, I think you should turn it on. At some point in the future, you will need it and would be good to know that your ISP, modem, and router support it. I have not noticed any speed difference with mine turned on. I have 200 service from Comcast and get speeds above that. I have a USB disk drive on the router and pass files that way between Apple and Windows 10 devices. Yes it is slow. I have not tried to pass direct between devices as I prefer to have limited openings into my computers, do not know if my router would even support it, and I do not need it very often.
Options
2019-12-09 15:55:41

wdpcpa wrote

I view my network from my office computer.  It is WIFI and Windows 10.  All my other clients are wired.  I can see them in "network and devices".  Unlike with my previous router, I can not transfer files.  I look in the left pane of File Explorer and cannot find a link under "This Computer" as I did with my previous router.

@wdpcpa,

What does it show on the Windows File Explorer URL bar? Not sure what the default is, but it might have been changed?

Mine shows THIS PC in the URL. Depending where you are, you can use the 'up arrow' or 'back arrow' in the URL bar to go up or down the structure as needed. I think File Explored has to be opened to DESKTOP to see THIS PC (same as THIS COMPUTER) to see it. Also I recall File Explorer's default open is to the last used possibly.

Options
2019-12-09 19:18:40

@wdpcpa,

What does it show on the Windows File Explorer URL bar? Not sure what the default is, but it might have been changed?

Mine shows THIS PC in the URL. Depending where you are, you can use the 'up arrow' or 'back arrow' in the URL bar to go up or down the structure as needed. I think File Explored has to be opened to DESKTOP to see THIS PC (same as THIS COMPUTER) to see it. Also I recall File Explorer's default open is to the last used possibly.

@IrvSp It shows "THIS PC, same as yours.  I can drop it down to Network and I can see my Nividia Shield on the network graphic to the right.  But clicking on them just gives you the property window.  Same with the NAS devices.  I can click on the NAS device, but it just takes me to the web page.  Not to the folders. 

Options
2019-12-09 19:22:24

ArcherC8 wrote

As far as the IPv6 goes, I think you should turn it on. At some point in the future, you will need it and would be good to know that your ISP, modem, and router support it. I have not noticed any speed difference with mine turned on. I have 200 service from Comcast and get speeds above that. I have a USB disk drive on the router and pass files that way between Apple and Windows 10 devices. Yes it is slow. I have not tried to pass direct between devices as I prefer to have limited openings into my computers, do not know if my router would even support it, and I do not need it very often.

@ArcherC8  - Thanks for the quick reply.  I suppose I could plug an external drive into the router and transfer files that way.  I could transfer a file from my office to the router's external drive, but I still couldn't move it to the Nvidia Shield Pro storage.  And if I could it would be a cumbersome process.  Sounds like I just need to find a router that can transfer between LAN clients.

Options
2019-12-09 19:43:55

wdpcpa wrote

@IrvSp It shows "THIS PC, same as yours.  I can drop it down to Network and I can see my Nividia Shield on the network graphic to the right.  But clicking on them just gives you the property window.  Same with the NAS devices.  I can click on the NAS device, but it just takes me to the web page.  Not to the folders. 

@wdpcpa,

I suspect you are looking at a Permissions problem.

I had that before between my Netgear USB drive and the LAN PC's.

I solved that by creating Windows Credentials. It is in the Windows Control Panel, Credential Manager, and click on the Windows Credential, then you'd need to create ones for devices that need a sign-in (userID and P/W) otherwise you can't enter the device. On my Windows PC, I even had to make my PC a user and the reverse on the other machine at one point, but generally just sharing the disks are all that is needed.

Screenshot... 192.168.0.1 is my router so I can access the USB drive, as is TPLink_Share2 which is the share name.

Options
2019-12-09 22:07:28

@wdpcpa 

Not very much to add that has not already been addressed but two things.

1.  I would love to get case details from you to investigate which agent told you it was not possible to transfer between LAN devices.  The only devices that may not be able to communicate with other network devices are those on the Guest network, and then only if you do not allow them too.

2.  It could also be due to SMBv1.  Microsoft disabled SMBv1 if you haven't updated to C2300 to this firmware then that could be your issue.  You would need to go on your Win 10 computer and re-enable SMBv1 or update the router. 

Options
2019-12-09 22:25:37

Carl wrote

@wdpcpa 

1.  I would love to get case details from you to investigate which agent told you it was not possible to transfer between LAN devices.  The only devices that may not be able to communicate with other network devices are those on the Guest network, and then only if you do not allow them too.

My OOMA phone log shows the call to (866) 225-8139 at 8:04 PM CDT yesterday.  It lasted 18:08.  I had to give name, model, and details so should be easy enough to track down.  I didn't write his name down.  I did make him check twice.

2.  It could also be due to SMBv1.  Microsoft disabled SMBv1 if you haven't updated to C2300 to this firmware then that could be your issue.  You would need to go on your Win 10 computer and re-enable SMBv1 or update the router.  

That download is for 2.0.3 Build 20180611.  Per the TP Link web page at the bottom, that is what I have.

Options
2019-12-09 22:57:22

@wdpcpa 

Did you give the same email to the agent as you used to setup your account here?  If not i would need you to DM me that email or the number you called from so i can track that call.

For the 2nd part, then you should be good on that front unless SMBv2 has also been disabled.  It would be good for testing purposes to check both V1 and V2 and see you enable v1 (or V2 if its also disabled) if it works.  If it works after SMBv1 is enabled or with SMBv2 enabled and its still not working let me know and we will put in a ticket for a potential bug in the FW.

Options
2019-12-09 22:59:58

@IrvSp 

IrvSp wrote

wdpcpa wrote

@wdpcpa,

I suspect you are looking at a Permissions problem....

...I solved that by creating Windows Credentials. It is in the Windows Control Panel, Credential Manager, and click on the Windows Credential, then you'd need to create ones for devices that need a sign-in (userID and P/W) otherwise you can't enter the device. On my Windows PC, I even had to make my PC a user and the reverse on the other machine at one point, but generally just sharing the disks are all that is needed.

Screenshot... 192.168.0.1 is my router so I can access the USB drive, as is TPLink_Share2 which is the share name.

Thanks for that.  One resource said to turn of Windows Creditionals.  Which I did.  Didn't help.  I turned it back on.  My Shield creditionals are there as well as one NAS.  I added the other.  But it has not solved my problem.  

Options
2019-12-09 23:11:18

@wdpcpa,

Well the best thing to try is the CMD line.

This will determine what you 'can' see and also if SMB1 is enabled.

Use the Windows key + R and enter CMD. Then enter NET VIEW, it should look something like this:

=========

C:\>net view
Server Name                  Remark

--------------------------      -----------------
\\IRxxxxx                          Irv's xxxx
\\LAxxxx-XP                     Laxxxxx XP
\\TP-SHARE                   samba server
The command completed successfully.
==========

If SMB1 is enabled you'll all the shares.

Then you can see what is actually shared on those shares, using NET VIEW \\sharename, like:

=============

C:\>net view \\tp-share
Shared resources at \\tp-share

samba server

Share name  Type  Used as  Comment

------------------------------------
G           Disk
The command completed successfully.
==========

Now to see that is on 'G' you have to use the DIR command:

=======

C:\>dir \\tp-share\g
 Volume in drive \\tp-share\g is G
 Volume Serial Number is 77A2-373A

Directory of \\tp-share\g

03/16/2018  01:25 PM    <DIR>          $RECYCLE.BIN
11/19/2019  04:55 PM    <DIR>          .
12/05/2019  07:39 AM    <DIR>          ..

11/17/2019  08:07 AM    <DIR>          found.000
09/13/2018  01:55 PM                48 New Text Document.txt
09/24/2019  06:40 PM    <DIR>          Pictures

10/02/2019  06:50 AM    <DIR>          share
05/12/2018  12:37 PM    <DIR>          System Volume Information
09/16/2019  02:55 PM                 5 test.TXT
11/17/2019  08:10 AM    <DIR>          Video
               7 File(s)     58,157,745 bytes
              11 Dir(s)  1,208,197,701,632 bytes free

==============

If you do NOT see that for the devices you have, they may not be set to share on the same Gateway IP Address.

If you can see everything, you should be able to use the COPY command and FILE EXPLORER.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2408

Replies: 19