Help! WiFi settings for PS4 to increase speed

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-15 23:39:00
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hey guys,

very new to the TP set up, using it as a router with my Virgin Superhub 3 in modem mode due to the HORRENDOUS WiFi range of the hub... online gaming for the PS4 is all good but when there is more than a couple of devices connected my speed drops massively, down from around 15mbps to 0.9 mbps... 

my question is, is there any settings I can change such as DMZ or changing IP settings to increase the speed for my PS4 only? I have already set QOS to give priority only to the PS4 but this still doesn't provide huge difference

Options
3 Reply
Re:Help! WiFi settings for PS4 to increase speed
2019-12-16 13:06:01

@CraigD2126 Use the 5 GHZ WIFI if you can as it is faster than the 2.4 which has better range. Move other devices to the other band. If you can, connet via Ethernet cable would be best. You can try selecting specific channels and band width in WIFI settings to see if that helps. Move the router, reposition antennas, and change its position or height as even little changes can make a difference. Be sure the WIFI is off on your modem/gateway router. Make sure you use good ethernet cables. The C7 should be connected direct to the modem via ethernet cable as a WIFI connection would be slower.

Options
2019-12-16 14:17:17

@ArcherC8 thanks, unfortunately neither cabled or 5GHZ are an option, I will try a few of the other bits though, some people have said using the C7 as a WAP instead is sometimes better? Not sure if this is the case...

Options
2019-12-16 18:55:53

@CraigD2126 

Try seeting the MTU of your PS4 to 1472.  Many ISPs at least here in the states max at 1500 MTUs so setting your PS4 to a lower maximum packet size can help.  Other than that you might want to consider a PowerLine adapter and using etherent.  2.4GHz as you know is a older more congested band.  Especially if you live in a major area with lots of 2.4GHz singals you may not see great performance out of the connection.  Also consider that 2.4 has a maximum speed of 150 Mbps but generally you won't see more than 80 to 100 at most.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3619

Replies: 3

Related Articles