Archer C9. Sudden loss of internet. Orange Light

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2019-12-29 05:09:18
Model: Archer C9  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Unknown

Tonight my Archer C9 suddenly lost internet connection. I was in the middle of my twitch stream and it suddenly died. All lights are blue except the internet connection light that is orange.

When I connect my computer directly to the modem, I get internet. So the problem is with the router.

I've tried restarting the router several times, and held in the reset button on the back. Orange internet light every time.

When attempting to login to tplinkwifi.net from my browser, it will not connect on either hardwire or wifi. So I have not been able to even get into the setup of the router.

Wifi SSIDs broadcast, but no devices can connect to the LAN. Devices are failing to obtain an IP address.

The router has given many years of reliable service, however I feel that due to the sudden and catastrophoic nature of the failure (working one second, dead the next. Cannot get into setup) that it might be finished. 

Any ideas of what I can try before I replace it? 

Thanks!

Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer C9. Sudden loss of internet. Orange Light
2019-12-31 14:13:49
Connect via an Ethernet cable using 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 whichever address your router uses. Try Power off and on. If that does not work, do a factory reset and reenter your settings.
Options
2019-12-31 21:41:51

@Smitty258 

If you are using cable internet services you may need to release the "MAC Binding"  of the modem.  To do this unplug the modem and remove to coaxial cable.  Connect the router to the mode and then plug the modem back in and wait for approximently 3-5 minutes.  After this reconnect the coaxial cable and wait for the modem to reboot.  Once this is complete your internet should be restored. 

Options
2019-12-31 23:18:44

@ArcherC8 Niether of those worked. I gave up on the unit. I'm actually an IT person so I tried everything I could think of and find online, and nothing worked.

Ended up picking up a Netgear Nighthawk AC2300 locally and it set up perfectly. Thanks for the reply though!

Options
2021-09-26 00:04:28

@Smitty258 

For anyone looking to resolve this still, what worked for me after getting through to a senior tech support (after getting a replacement router that had the exact same issue...) is the following:

Log into your router -> Advanced -> Network -> Internet -> Mac Clone section -> Change to "Clone Current Device MAC"

Too many hours spent trying to do other things and getting a warrantied replacement router just to find out this is the simple solution lol... anyway, hope it helps others!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 17743

Replies: 4