Slow laptop speed with new router wired to laptop

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-07 07:16:26
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.11

My old router had 10/100 ports, and it was connected to my laptop with an ethernet cable.  Laptop speed was 94 Mbps.  My new C7 router has 10/100/1000 ports, and it is connected to my laptop with an ethernet cable.  Laptop speed is 50 Mbps.  The C7 is a faster router so why is my laptop speed slower.  What do I need to change in the router settings to get 94 Mbps?  

Options
4 Reply
Re:Slow laptop speed with new router wired to laptop
2020-01-07 13:25:21
Try power cycle the modem, router and PC to see if that helps. It is good practice to power cycle after you make changes. If still the same results, try different Ethernet cables. One could be going bad or have a connector that does not make good contact. Make sure the router firmware is up to date. Try with only the PC plugged into the router. Try bypassing the router and connecting the PC direct to the modem and see what results you get as it may be your ISP. You can also try a factory reset.
Options
2020-01-07 17:23:19

@tbeb,

I'd also suggest looking at the PC itself. Could be trying to connect at a lower speed, should be set to 1GB probably.

I'd delete the connection in Device Manager (if on Windows) and then reboot. It should reinstall it.

Options
2020-01-07 18:18:12

@tbeb 

Thanks to all of you for your replies.

When I connected modem to new C7 router, I used the ethernet cable that came in the box with the C7.  Okay, I replaced that cable with the one i used to connect the modem to the old router.  Laptop speed is again 94 Mbps.  Either the cable that came with new router is bad, or a better connection was made at modem or router with the different cable.   

Options
2021-03-19 19:58:51

@tbeb 

Although some people ask this question because they really do want just a LITTLE more performance… most people ask this question because they want to turn their laptop into a different, more powerful laptop.

So let’s get that out of the way first. Your laptop… well… that’s your laptop. Anything you do to it will provide a marginal boost, if at all. You won’t be taking an everyday laptop and adding a few things and ending up with a gaming laptop.

The first, easiest way to boost your laptop’s speed… is to perform a factory recovery. Nuke everything from the unit, and reinstall the OS it came with, using the utility provided by the manufacturer.

You may be able to add more Ram, which will make the operation of the laptop feel smoother. You may be able to put a faster internal storage unit in place…. a 10k RPM hard drive, or a solid state one. These changes can speed up certain aspects of the laptop, but expectations should be kept low. Back up everything you want to keep. Perform a factory recovery. See how much speed you reclaim then. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 904

Replies: 4

Related Articles