Does faster laptop speed mean faster internet browsing?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-15 20:29:15
Model: Adapter  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Comcast plan is 300 Mbps.  Modem is 16.x 4 DOCSIS 3.0.  Dual band router is a TP-Link Archer C7 (10/100/1000).  My Toshiba laptop is 10/100, and supports 2.4 Ghz.

Wired to router, laptop speed is 94 Mbps.  If i use a TP-Link T3U AC1300 usb wifi adapter, and say laptop speed is 150 Mbps, will I notice a difference when surfing the internet?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Does faster laptop speed mean faster internet browsing?
2020-01-16 00:19:39

@tbeb 

While there are other factors to consider when looking to improve internet speed the short answer is, yes.   An archer T3U can connect to the 5GHz band which has a higher throughput and ability to provide higher internet speeds.  You will still need to consider network congestion, enviromental interference and distance though.  But generally speaking you will see better speeds with this upgrade.  

Options
2020-01-16 02:24:02

@Carl 

Carl wrote

@tbeb 

While there are other factors to consider when looking to improve internet speed the short answer is, yes.   An archer T3U can connect to the 5GHz band which has a higher throughput and ability to provide higher internet speeds.  You will still need to consider network congestion, enviromental interference and distance though.  But generally speaking you will see better speeds with this upgrade.  

Does this mean even though my laptop doesn't support 5 Ghz, it will support it using the T3U?

Options
2020-01-16 19:09:39

@tbeb 

Yes, because its is the adapter that is in use that would define the networks capablities.  If you use the USB adapter instead of the built in one you would have the ability to connect to 5GHz if that adapter supports 5Ghz which the Archer T3U does.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 525

Replies: 3