Slow network performance on AX50/AX3000

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Slow network performance on AX50/AX3000

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
204 Reply
Re:Slow network performance on AX50/AX3000
2020-07-18 03:43:13

@JoePena26 Here my settings. Hope it'll help.  Fyi password field was removed :). If still the same, best way to ask for warranty claim.

Options
2020-07-18 22:36:43

Hey everybody. Just wanted to say thank you for the suggestions.

I can confirm the same thing most others are seeing. I have hardware Archer AX50 v1.0 and have firmware 1.0.8 Build 20200426 rel.65338(5553), and pay for 400 Mbps download and 20 Mbps upload. I was initially only able to get 200 Mbps (over Ethernet and about 180 over 5 GHz) from the router but the full 400 from the modem. 

I then uninstalled the Tether app from my phone, and factory reset the router, and then set it up using the web interface with an Ethernet plugged directly into the router. After doing this I was able to get the full 400 Mbps download over 5 GHz WiFi, and over Ethernet. 

@Carl this most certainly has to be an issue with the QOS on the Tether App. Removing the app makes all the problems go away. 

Just to clarify, because I know someone will bring it up, I did try setting the QOS to standard mode, and set the limits to 1000 in both directions, and this did not help. (It's worth noting, if I set the limits to 10, my speed test maxed out at almost exactly 10 Mbps, meaning when the QOS is working it's very effective at limiting speeds). The issue is there is no way to properly turn it off, as setting to standard and 10, limits you to 10, and setting to 1000 limits you at some arbitrary cutoff that the software decides for you. The lack of control over the QOS renders it's completely useless, if not downright malignant. 

Options
2020-07-24 21:48:08

Just bought this thing and now I'm starting to think that I shouldn't have done that.

There is a clear issue with this thing and the speeds that it provides. I have 1G internet and previous AC device is capable of speeds around 700. Direct lan to modem always provides me around 750-800.

This bloody AX50 only outputs 230 for device. Tried to remove the stupid app and reset but did not help in my case. The device is running latest firmware provided.

Old access point still provides the good speeds same with the Ethernet straight from modem.

I want a straight answer from TP-Link: Are you going to fix this and if so what schedule?

There is no way to deny the issue with so many complaining customers.

It might be that this was the first and last device I got from you and I will be taking it back to the retailer.

For those thinking of buying, DON'T. Atleast not until this is fixed.

Options
2020-07-25 10:47:59

@Lema 

I dont't have any speed issues with this router. I pay for 300Mbps and this is the exact speed that I get both on wifi 6(AX200) and lan

My only complain is that this router gets super hot, so I have to disable the 2.4GHz band in order to drop some degrees.

Options
2020-07-27 10:11:09

Hello I recently got AX50 router and I have noticed that I am getting no more than 1mbps of download speed on all of my laptops while getting full speed in all my other devices as well even more surprising thing is that I am getting full upload speed on the laptop. Is anyone facing the same issue? 

Options
2020-07-27 11:21:31

@PK007 you mentioned on all other laptop you managed to get full speed but one of the laptop just managed 1Mbps? If yes potential driver issue. 

Options
2020-07-27 19:09:06

@Carl As a new AX50 owner also, I can confirm that, whether or not the Tether app is the root-cause, LAN speeds are poor. Wireless performance (throughput) is REALLY bad on 2.4GHz, even on an Intel AX200 client card. 5GHz is just about acceptable although still disappointing. I am losing about a third of my WAN performance and I'm not on a particularly fast connection. My 350mbps WAN downlink is constrained to about 200mbps - even on a direct, wired connection to the router. I'm also noticing a single CPU core on the router at 90% regularly. On my 350mbps down, 35mbps up connection... Does that seem correct to you? 

Options
2020-07-27 19:16:58

@Husni hey well it's not my laptop it's all my windows laptops in my house (2-3) while my Mac is working perfectly fine as well as my other devices 

Options
2020-07-28 18:41:27

Hi Guys, 

I just bought AX50 yesterday, and as people has discovered, the Tether APP is the culprit. 

DON'T DOWNLOAD THE TETHER APP! I REPEAT, DON'T DOWNLOAD and USE TETHER APP!

So long story short, I noticed my LAN speed and WiFi was down compare to my previous router that COST 4 TIMES CHEAPER.

After wastefully trying different things, thankfully I found this thread and simply factory reset the router and uninstall tether app from my phone.

BOOM! I GOT MUCH FASTER SPEED ALL OF THE SUDDEN. I've cancelled my trip for returning the unit (so far ;)) See speed comparison below

So please TP-LINK, GET A GRIP! and acknowledge this issues!

Initial speed with Tether app installed and my account connected etc..

After factory reset + uninstall Tether app and disconnect account.

yesyesyesyes

Options
2020-07-28 19:49:23

@Carl 

I have brought AX50 last week and having terrible speed and lags. I can't even play my mobile gaming due to the lags. I have been reading lot about the tether app being the cause but in my case, I started experiencing the issue before even I downloaded the app. Now just read your comment about the Samsung devices and it made me curious to understand that issue more, coz majority of my devices are Samsung. Specifically only one device which supports wifi 6 and thats where i am having all the issues is my samsung note 10. 

Pls help me to fix this asap, or I am returning this device.

Options
Related Articles