Hidden ssid

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Hidden ssid

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Hidden ssid
Hidden ssid
2020-01-20 23:49:47
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

I have read a few posts about this subject but not sure if I understand completely. I have a new A7 and it apparently came with this ssid incorporated within. Some have mentioned that it involves the "open mesh" option which would utilize the hidden band. Can someone confirm this and if so is there any way to disable it showing up on WiFi analyzers?

Options
6 Reply
Re:Hidden ssid
2020-01-21 00:28:39

@dadibones 

We have an article that explains thsi for you.  https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/stories/detail/730?replyId=365654  Please let us know if this helps.

Options
2020-01-21 03:44:39

@Carl 

Thank you Carl, so I am guessing cant be gotten rid of but it doesn't affect bandwidth?. If I change channels will it follow or will it stay. 

Options
2020-01-21 18:39:49

@dadibones 

Correct it does not affect bandwidth but cannot be gotten rid of.  It is completely used for backhaul communications between the router and say a range extender when the OneMesh service is used. 

Options
2020-06-14 02:19:14

@Carl sir how it is useful for one mesh ? Because i see it when i search available network from my laptop but in my android it is not showing this hidden network ssid. As well as it also have a password which is not known to me , so i want to how it works for one mesh because then is it required to put a password, plz give details about how it work and what its password is?

Another question is why this hidden network ssid only show in my laptop but not show in my android available wifi network. Because my question if it show then i think it should be show in every device but why it is not showing in android device

Options
2020-06-14 02:24:36

@Arindamxaverian 

Sir i also contact tp link india technical support and asking them about this hidden network ssid. They also do not understand it and they said that this is coming from your neighbours house which is near to you and who set up his router ssid as 'hidden network'

They unable to provide any information , is it not tp link responsibility to provide sufficint details about this hidden network ssid and its password and why this show in only laptop not in android. I think its a bug and i have to return the product

Options
2020-06-14 12:04:12
Routers have an option to hide the SSID, however it is not truly hidden since it is in the transmitted message and it can be seen easily by hackers. It was designed as a way to protect your WIFI but did not work. Many devices now show the hidden SSIDs, but not all. Since it does not do any good to mark your router's SSID as hidden, it is best to always show it. Also some devices use only 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz and they would not see any SSID on a different band. As far as the hidden SSID on TP Link routers, it is used as a back haul when using WIFI instead of a wired connection between a router and another router or an extender. For a Mesh system or extender to have the fastest throughput it needs a way to send signals concurrently. A Non-Mesh router and old style extender transmits the signal in packets from the router to the extender on the same channel or uses both the 2.5 and 5 GHz bands. If the same channel is used, the signal is not concurrent which results in a loss of speed (roughly one half the speed). If both bands are used, you are limited to the slowest band speed. A Mesh system or Mesh router and extender so equipped, uses the hidden band to send the the signal one way (back haul) and the other bands for the other direction so speed is maintained. Since it is used only to communicate between the router and another router or extender, there is no need for you to have the password which I suspect/expect changes frequenty. If there is no additional router or extender then the hidden band is idle. I would prefer an option that it could be disabled if not used.
Options