WiFi only works within a few feet of the router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-01-31 20:49:06
Model: Archer C5400X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.2 Build 20191223 rel.73956(5553)

As the subject states. Woke up this morning and the WiFi only works if you stand literally right next to the router. I've factory reset it, updated the firmware, factory reset it again and connected using the SSID and password printed on the bottom. I individually set the channels (1, 6, 11, etc.) and channel widths (20hz, 40hz, etc.). This is for all WiFi channels, none of the 3 work, again unless you're right next to the router.

Options
5 Reply
Re:WiFi only works within a few feet of the router
2020-01-31 20:56:54

@Mandals 

Log into the router, go back to Advanced > Wireless > Wireless Settings, change the transmit power on all bands to low, save it. Now set all three bands back to high and save it, see if the range is restored.

When you mentioned updating the firmware, did you manually upload the latest firmware or just checked it was running the latest?

Options
2020-01-31 21:09:52
First I clicked the 'Check For Updates' which it did Then I proceeded to download the latest firmware from the website.
Options
2020-02-12 18:53:10

@Mandals I also had this exact same problem, I have 3 of these routers, only happening since I updated to latest firmware. 

Options
2020-05-12 18:38:01

I have this EXACT issue happening to me as of this morning.

Is there any solution to this?

All wifi drops out unless I am right next to the router. Can't even move even a few meters away, or it disconnects.

Options
2020-08-24 07:18:55

@Mandals  I have experienced something similar. Looks like it was a random hardware issue. I applied for warranty support (the device stop working after a couple of months). They confirm it was a hardware issue and changed my device for a new one. Hope yours still on warranty.

Options