Best placement for M5 units

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-02-07 16:45:58
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have 4 M5 unites setup in my home.  I have been using for some time now and they are really pretty great.  I have 300/300 Mb fiber.  What is the best placement for the units?  I have 2 of them at outlet height, 1 at counter height (in kitchen) and one desk height in basement.  I'm thinking they are probably better if they are placed higher up.  How do folks usually do this though as outlets are usually about 18" from floor.

thanks

Options
2 Reply
Re:Best placement for M5 units
2020-02-07 17:36:04

@highspeed 

I don't know how much vertical placement within the room matters, so long as you spread your units out to get coverage where you need it. 

I've got 5 units.  3 units are spread out on the main level, 1 is upstairs in the master bedroom, and 1 is in the middle of the basement.  

One sitting on a desk hutch (5' high), one on an entermainment center (3' high), and the other three are plugged into directly into outlets (1' high) using these brackets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JD4QL49/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  

Singal is nice and strong everywhere in the house.

The nice thing about having multiple units is you can move them around a little bit and experiement with what works best.  For example, my upstairs unit was originally in another bedroom that is more central to the floorplan.  The signal to my bedroom was good but I found the speeds started slowing down (20Mbps in bed vs. 150-300Mbps at the door), so I moved the unit into my bedroom.  The bedrooms at the opposite end of the floor still get good signal and speed but from the unit on the main floor directly below.  You can use an internet speed test app and move around your house trying different approaches.  I use the free "Fing" app - works great.

Options
Re:Best placement for M5 units
2020-02-11 22:42:51

@highspeed 

Here is a simple guide: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/455/

The only tip that does not apply is with the antennas positioning.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2687

Replies: 2

Related Articles