Archer c5400X WAN aggregation Issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-04 21:38:56 - last edited 2020-03-04 21:51:13
Model: Archer C5400X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: Archer C5400X(US)_V1_191223

Evening!

Just picked up a C5400X router and I have an Arris SB8200 cable modem (both latest firmware, configured correctly, internet is working). I enabled link aggregation on the cable modem (rebooted) and enabled WAN aggregation in the web gui for the router (rebooted). Both cable modem ports show a green light for gig connections and it knows it's connected and I have internet on the LAN of the router as it shows in the GUI and I can access webpages. The only odd thing is, the green led on the cable modem port 1 is flashing like its sending and receiving, but port 2 shows a steady green with a flash every once in a while. The two cables are verified good (also with network tester) and even swapped them out with a different set for kicks, Port 1 of the modem is connected to the WAN port and port 2 of the modem is connected to port 1 as outlined in the manual for WAN agg.

When properly aggregated they should both be flashing at the same rate. To test to see if it was the cable modem or the router, I connected directly to my POE switch (T1600g-28PS). I can verify the cable modem is aggregating properly because both are reporting gigabit when connected directly into my T1600g-28PS switch (w/LACP enabled for ports 1/2) and both green LED's for both ports on the cable modem and the switch are flashing at the same rate together and once again, have internet to the default VLAN on various ports available.

So am I missing something in the router config?? I don't see LACP, Passive or Active in regards to WAN agg options under advance menus. I'm stumped.

My goal is to have WAN agg from my Arris SB8200 to the C5400X (my gigbit internet is over previsioned @ 1.2gbps), and then have Link Agg from ports 2/3 of the C5400X to ports 1/2 of the T1600g-28PS to do VLAN's for the rest of the network. Just odd the cable modem link agg works for the switch properly, but not the C5400X:/

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

BigRed

Options
4 Reply
Re:Archer c5400X WAN aggregation Issues
2020-03-04 22:58:29

@BigRedCustoms 

The Archer C5400X does not support LACP like the business switch.

Is there a alternative link aggregation mode on the modem that is static? For example, balanced XOR should work.

Options
2020-03-05 00:34:31 - last edited 2020-03-05 01:20:10

@Tony 

Not that I see off hand, I'm just trying to use the Link Aggregation from the SB8200 (pictured below) to connect to the router via WAN-Aggregation on the WAN port and Port 1 of the router:

Here are it's instructions for the SB8200 modem:

1. Connect the Ethernet cable to the WAN Ethernet port on the Wi-Fi router and to Ethernet port 1 on the back of the SB8200 cable modem.

2. Connect a second Ethernet cable to the Link Aggregation Ethernet port on the Wi-Fi router and to Ethernet port 2 on the back of the SB8200 cable modem. 

Enable Link Aggregation 

1. Launch a web browser, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari.  Enter http://192.168.100.1 into the address box and press the Enter key.  The Connection page will appear.

NOTE: A security or private risk alert may appear on the web browser advising users to proceed with caution when accessing the Web Manager.  There is no risk in proceeding to the Web Manager. For instructions to by-pass the alert screen, refer to article # 18181 - Alert Message for Web Manager Access.

2. Click the Advanced link on the main menu.  The Link Aggregation Configuration page will appear. 

3. Check mark the Enable LAG box, then click the Apply/Save button.  The pop-up box will appear.

4. Click the OK button to reboot the SB8200.

Then for the Archer c5400X:

4. 6. Set Up WAN Aggregation WAN Aggregation transforms the LAN1 port to an additional WAN port, and makes a single high-bandwidth data path. Unleash faster internet from ISPs that provide bandwidth rates over 1Gbps and no longer be limited by your networking hardware. Note: Before enabling this feature, make sure that your ISP supports WAN Aggregation and your modem has two WAN ports.

1. Visit http://tplinkwifi.net, and log in with your TP-Link ID or the password you set for the router.

2. Go to Advanced > Network > Internet.

3. Toggle on WAN Aggregation to enable it and the router will reboot to apply the settings. 25 Chapter 4 Set Up Internet Connection

4. Connect the router’s WAN port and LAN1 port to your modem’s two WAN ports with two Ethernet cables.

Options
2020-03-05 01:10:15 - last edited 2020-03-05 01:13:32

Tony,

Only other thing I might be running into is maybe a network loop when just connecting from the modem to the router during boot up, maybe a good feature to add to the router firmware for these link agg modems or link agg NAS's is maybe a kind of loop detect function or some sort of error correction in the router firmware. I'll try to time my connections and re-connections to ports at different intervals or start-up phases to see if anything changes.

It might explain why the one port is Tx/Rx (indicated by a traffic sensing flashing LED on port 1 on the modem) is fine and the other (port 2) is solid ON, almost looking like constant activity. Again, this only happens with the C5400X router, the switch always works fine with link agg.

I'll do some more work on this tonight. I've also tried both individual ports on the modem in single cable only LAN configs so the ports are good. Any other ideas, I'm all ears!

Options
2020-03-05 16:32:44
Also be sure your ISP supports Link Aggregation.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3321

Replies: 4

Related Articles