USB Network Drive Inconsistencies

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-03-29 21:43:30
Model: Archer C5400X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20180904 Rel. 41828(5553)

My goal: To have the Seagate hard drive that is plugged in via USB to my router to function like a basic hard drive, but allow everyone on my network read/write access to all the files.

Issue: between my 3 computers 1 works perfectly, the other don't.

All 3 computers are Windows 10 and I just performed all Microsoft updates, so they run buil 1909.

The 1 computer that works perfectly is my desktop, it's my laptops that are having issues.

When I log into my router via the IP address and navigate to USB Sharing > USB Storage Devices

The "Network/Media Server Name" is "LaMedia". Sharing Contents and Security is set to share all folders. Access Authentication is off, and Enable Media Sharing is on.

On the desktop, I go into File Explorer > Network. 

I see LaMedia in here 2 times, once under "Computers" and once under "Media Devices"

When I double click on it for Media Devices some dumb window pops up and basically gives me the status of the hard drive like how many files are on it and stuff.  Whatever, useless.

When I double click on LaMedia under Computers, I get 2 options - "f" and "g".

When I select "g" a glorious thing happens. I see my folders and inside of them are the movies, I just double click a file and like magic it opens VLC and my video starts.

This is perfection.

On the laptops, I go into File Explorer > Network. 

Here, LaMedia ONLY appears under Media Devices, not Computers.

So the laptops only have the useless aspect of it.

I am assuming the issue is somewhere on the computer since the router settings would be universal to all my computers, but I just have no idea how to get the hard drive to appear under computers so that I can just stream all my movies to all my computers.

Thanks!

Options
2 Reply
Re:USB Network Drive Inconsistencies
2020-03-29 22:25:11
Can you get to the USB drive using the Run command? (press windows key and r and then enter the IP address of the router. should be something like 192.168.0.1)
Options
Re:USB Network Drive Inconsistencies
2020-03-31 20:34:58

@ArcherC8 

when I do that it brings me to the router’s login and when I login I go to usb sharing and it is there.

also now randomly LaMedia doesn’t show up in my desktop anymore either. So now I have a USB plugged into my router with media on it and I can’t acces it.

i have absolutely no idea what the issue is.

Ignore I select it under “media devices” I see the info about the drive that looks right and can log into the router and see the drive there with all my files on it. 

Just cant access it through my conputer’s Network

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 509

Replies: 2

Related Articles