Guest WIFI signal always transmitting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-03 15:27:38
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.14 Build 20200220 rel. 33197

After the installation of the router, I decided to scan my WIFI for signal strength of the router. I found a hidden (SSID)  WIFI signal. Comparing the signal strength of the primary WIFI network and this hidden SSID it correspond to my router. To verify that this hidden (SSID) was the guest, I assigned a unique SSID to my guest account and switch the guest network t on. The hidden SSID changed to the SSID assigned to the guest network. Another test I manually forced the channel of the primary network, and I found this hidden WIFI network changed also.

So the question is, Does the  WIFI signal for the guest network still transimit even when the guest network is off?  

When guest network is switch on, there is no issues connecting to it. So at least switch the guest network off does prevent network connections.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Guest WIFI signal always transmitting
2020-04-03 17:40:11 - last edited 2020-04-03 19:51:20

@Mark31 

Here is a article that talk about the hidden network of your router:

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/stories/detail/730

The hidden network is for the OneMesh feature of the router.

Options
2020-04-03 17:55:49
Thank you
Options
2021-08-28 20:00:05

Mark@31

You say the Guest network is "always on". For goodness sakes why?  This is a security flaw, also all those hidden networks that mimic the main networks seen by my wi-fi analyzer have no reason to be there, they too are a security risk.

I have contacted TP-link support and after several exchanges they told me It's okay to have those extra "Hidden" networks transmitter by my D-20 mesh system, and after I pressed them on the issue, they finally said that they will be asking their senior I.T. about it and will get back to me.  That was a week ago, with no response as to why those additional hidden carriers are present. Today, I received an email saying they were going to close the ticket because, there was no further action.

Since this was an Amazon purchase, I have a week or so left for returning the 3 station mesh router, and I am about to do just that.

Here's what my WI FI analyzer looks like

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 889

Replies: 3

Related Articles