AX 11000 Slow Ethernet Ports

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

AX 11000 Slow Ethernet Ports

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
35 Reply
Re:AX 11000 Slow Ethernet Ports
2021-02-11 08:15:28

@KIdneykids 

Update:  Well got the full speed now on the desktop in question.

What I did was change the patch cable for a new one (same brand and length) and moved the port on the switch from

6 to 19.  Not sure if it was the port on the switch or the 1 foot patch cable.

Anyways router is working awesome :-)

Options
2021-02-11 20:06:20

@Snorkel 

super happy for you. Small patch cables are sometimes used at "straight through" patch cables designed for computer to computer nic vs. switch/router/hubs which are cross-over braided. 

Options
2021-06-28 21:04:12 - last edited 2021-06-28 22:27:05

Thanks Tony, your #2 suggestion above worked for me.

-Advanced > HomeCare > QoS, manually set the bandwidth to 1000 Mbps up and 1000 Mbps down

This was automatically set based on the routers internal speed test applet, which apparently isn't quite accurate. The upload speed was correct but the download speed was off by some 300 mb/s. I set this manually to 1000 mb/s down and now my hard wired connections are pulling 900+ mb/s with router and desktop antivirus enabled.

P.S. I would hot fix this ASAP TP-LINK. I know a few folks (from the Netgear forums) that have tried this router and returned it because of this. You need to nip this in the bud. 

Options
2021-12-03 01:04:12

@KIdneykids 

Unfortunately, I am one of the unlucky ones that has tried all solutions/troubleshooting steps mentioned in all the posts and have had no luck.  Spent an hour with XFinity and was able to prove that I can get 950+ speeds when using a direct connection to the modem using a CAT 6 cable.  I tested several cables just to make sure they could all operate at those speeds (I had a network engineer terminate them for me so I was confident they were good anyway).  Amazing speeds when wired to the modem.  The moment I put the TP Link AX11000 into the mix, the speeds are reduced to about a third that speed (still using CAT 6, not Wifi).  What's also odd is that my network throughput between internal devices is clearly operating at Gigabit Speeds.  But my 1.2 Gbps internet service is reduced to a slow crawl when using the TP Link AX11000.

For some, I have seen that they don't mind since they can stream and function even at a reduced speed.  For me, 1/3 performance is just not justifiable.  Has anyone else out there discovered some other solution that opened the floodgates to the throughput.  I am tempted to purchase a new Managed Switch (No wireless, and connect everything directly to that....including the AX11000 so see if that fixes everything.

I deeply appreciate all the posters who have contributed to the thread over the months/years.  These steps have helped me increase some speed and have helped me better understand networking configurations and their effect on throughput.

Options
2021-12-07 12:31:34

@Ayato 

Does it mean neither changing with different CAT 6 cables or configuring the QoS with the desired upload and download bandwidth help with the slow LAN speed you came across?

I would suggest double check the QoS settings as follows, or you can reset the AX11000 to factory defaults and don't change any advanced settings especially the HomeCare configuration, then test the monitor the speed you can get:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/3069/

BTW, what is the device or computer connected to the LAN of the AX11000? What is the link speed on it? You can find that as follows:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2899/

Options
2021-12-07 18:24:11 - last edited 2021-12-07 18:24:58

@Ayato 

I want to trust but verify your "I've done all previous steps".

I know Kevin(tp-link) suggests leaving certain settings in tact.  But just for debugging purposes, I disabled all this extra stuff just to get down to bare bones.

1. Advanced/Network/LAN : Uncheck Link Aggregation
  2. Advanced/Network/IPTV/VLAN :  Uncheck IPTV
  3. Advanced/NAT/UPnP: Toggle this OFF
  4. Advanced/NAT/DMZ: Toggle OFF
  5. Advanced/HomeCare/Parent Controls: remove any Parent entries
  6. Advanced/HomeCare: QoS: Click EDIT icon(paper/pencil) next to Total Bandwidth.  Round UP to next 100-200Mbps LARGER than you buy from your ISP. I pay for Gigabit service and is supposed to be 1000Mbps down and 40Mbps up so I set my settings to 1300Mbps, and 100Mbps.  Choose STANDARD for the QoS setting. 
  7. Advanced/HomeCare/Antivirus: Just temporarily, Turn off all three Malicious Filter, Intrusion, Infection toggles.  Once this test is over restore these ASAP, if you use them. 
  8. Advanced/Security/Firewall: toggle off SPI Firewall (temporarily only)
  9. Advanced/Security/AccessControl: Toggle Off
  10. Advanced/Security/IP&MAC Binding: Toggle Off
  11. Advanced/IPv6: Toggle OFF
  12. Advanced/OneMesh: Turn OFF

What I found is that AFTER I removed all these settings I was able to get full 1GB service speeds using speedtest.net site in a browser.  The speedtest applet inside the router is BROKEN and still shows inaccurate speeds than actual.  

Then I turned back on minimally needed services: Security Firewall, then HomeCare Antivirus.

Keep Off: IPv6, UPnP, Parent Controls, ( think these were my suspects of causing slowness. 

Options
2021-12-28 21:33:20

@philipbi Thank you for your reply.  With the holiday break, I have been able to dedicate even more time to troubleshooting.

My equipment:

XFinity 1.2 Gbps Plan -> RG-6 Cable -> Arris S33 Modem (2.5 Gbps port / DOCSIS 3.1) -> CAT 6 -> TP-Link AX11000 -> CAT 6 -> MSI GE75 Raider Laptop (1 Gbps port)

To baseline everything, I tested my connection (with the help of my fellow nerd friends) on 4 different modems directly to my laptop via CAT 6.

1. ARRIS SB6183 (up to 686 Mbps)                          -> speedtest.net results ~500mbps (which was expected)
  2. ARRIS SB6190 (up to 1Gbps                                -> speedtest.net results ~900mbps (higher than I though it would be)
  3. ARRIS S33 (up to 2.5 Gbps on the one port)        -> speedtest.net results ~915mbps (which was expected)
  4. Motorola MB8611 (up to 2.5 Gbps)                        -> speedtest.net results ~915mbps (which was expected)

So at this point, I know my internet straight to the laptop is good to go on its 1 Gbps port.

Reading your steps I began with a factory defaults reset to start from scratch.  At default settings, my laptop immediately went to ~550 mbps results.

1. Advanced/Network/LAN : Uncheck Link Aggregation (Confirmed)
  2. Advanced/Network/IPTV/VLAN :  Uncheck IPTV (Confirmed)
  3. Advanced/NAT/UPnP: Toggle this OFF (Confirmed)
  4. Advanced/NAT/DMZ: Toggle OFF (Confirmed)
  5. Advanced/HomeCare/Parent Controls: remove any Parent entries (Confirmed)
  6. Advanced/HomeCare: QoS: Click EDIT icon(paper/pencil) next to Total Bandwidth.  Round UP to next 100-200Mbps LARGER than you buy from your ISP. I pay for Gigabit service and is supposed to be 1000Mbps down and 40Mbps up so I set my settings to 1300Mbps, and 100Mbps.  Choose STANDARD for the QoS setting.  (Confirmed)
  7. Advanced/HomeCare/Antivirus: Just temporarily, Turn off all three Malicious Filter, Intrusion, Infection toggles.  Once this test is over restore these ASAP, if you use them. (Confirmed) I am leaving these and all my other firewalls/antivirus disabled as well. I will re-enable my preferred service once all troubleshooting is complete.
  8. Advanced/Security/Firewall: toggle off SPI Firewall (temporarily only) (Confirmed)
  9. Advanced/Security/AccessControl: Toggle Off (Confirmed)
  10. Advanced/Security/IP&MAC Binding: Toggle Off (Confirmed)
  11. Advanced/IPv6: Toggle OFF (Confirmed)
  12. Advanced/OneMesh: Turn OFF (Confirmed)
  13. I also swapped the best 3 modems mentioned above while under this configuration.
  14. I also unplugged all other network devices.
  15. Disabled Wifi
  16. Removed power from all devices for 10+ minutes (at the suggestion of the ISP).
  17. Internet Port Negotiation Speed Setting: 2500 or Auto Negotiate made no difference.
  18. Messing with DDNS made no difference.
  19. Changing DHCP address pools made no difference.
  20. No VPNs
  21. No IPv6
  22. Latest Firmware confirmed.
  23. No Luck.
  24. I then pulled out my old TP-Link Archer AC 1200 router and directely connected it to the modem.  Back up to 900+Mbps on my laptop (speedtest.net).  So, in my case, I get better hardlined speeds from my AC1200 than I do from my AX11000.  
  25. And I agree, the router speed test is ridiculously unreliable.  You would think it would show faster speeds than the endpoint devices.

I appreciate all of your input and will likely just deal with this till I purchase a new router.  In the meantime, I think I am going to upgrade my CAT 5e cabling throughout my house with CAT 6A to do some future proofing in case xfinity offers even better speeds in my area in the upcoming years.  If only I could hire some rats to pull the cabling through my walls. (The builders installed CAT5e, but I have been using CAT6 for all my tests and troubleshooting.  Actually, tested the 5e as well and they are getting the same speeds with my current equipment.  Using CAT6 has made no difference, but I wanted to rule out all possible factors...Although I have always rotated my mouse cursor clockwise while doing the speed tests....need to try other patterns just to be sure.

Options
2021-12-28 22:15:23 - last edited 2021-12-28 22:16:05

@Ayato very thoughrow response. I am clueless why the ax11000 isn't showing full throughput. Ugg.   I guess it is time to open a ticket with tp-link. I am so sorry we couldn't find you a workaround. 

fyi: tp-link engineering promised me a fix to the embedded Speedtest.net API in the very next firmware. It still has NOT been fixed. 

please post back what you find out you get a ticket response from support. I would love to hear how they resolve it. 

Options
2022-01-03 17:03:19
Same here.... Not working after all the fixes. Gonna try a TOTAL reset and see what happens. So Disheartening.
Options
2022-01-03 17:22:44

@Kevin_Z 

Why do people keep recommending that "Turn off QOS" in the fix for the AX11000??

This fix is NOT useable because the AX11000 QOS CAN NOT BE TURNED OFF.

Yet I keep seeing that link  posted as a solution is several threads...

Options