Wired connections to Archer A20 not connecting. Wifi OK

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-11 19:09:26
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

2 week old Archer A20 router. occasional problem with connecting wired computers to the router. They don't see the router at all or recognize a connection. 

Works fine for a while then problems arise. Can connect mobile devices via wifi and get good internet connection.  

Can direct wire desk set to the modem and get good internet connection using the same ehternet cable that I use for the router connection so etherniet cable is good.  When wired to the router it acts like it is not connected.  3 computers hard wired to the router and none are connecting now. 2 are Win10 Pro and one is Win 7,  

Feeling frustrated, wired connections should be simple.  

What am I doing wrong?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Wired connections to Archer A20 not connecting. Wifi OK
2020-04-12 11:41:13
Cables can cause strange results. I would remove all the cables and power cycle everything. Connect one, power cycle, and test. Repeat adding one at a time as one bad cable could be causing an issue on the bus. Also look at the pins in the router's Ethernet ports and ensure none are bent.
Options
Re:Wired connections to Archer A20 not connecting. Wifi OK
2020-04-13 20:41:06

@John7g 

To Build off what @ArcherC8 stated you can also prefrom a loop back test.  This is taking an etherent cable and connecting to two of the LAN ports on the Archer A20.  Only have this ethernet cable connected to the two LAN ports and nothing else.  On the front of the router the LAN light (looks like a computer monitor) should light up blue.  Repeat this test for each ethernet port.  If the light does not come on that would indicate either a defective cable or a defective port.  Try a different cable and if the results are the same then it would like be a hardware defect and we would need to replace.

Options