VPN issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

VPN issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
VPN issues
VPN issues
2020-04-14 02:05:51
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 3.8

I purchased the Deco 5 system about a month ago.  I was having issues connecting to my work VPN with my old router.  For the first 3 + weeks, the Deco 5 connected to my VPN flawlessly.  Suddenly it stopped and I haven't been able to connect for the past several days.  I did not change any settings that should have stopped it from connecting.  I was able to connect my modem directly to my computer.  When I did this, I was able to connect to the VPN.  My modem only has one ethernet port which connects the router.  With other family members needing the internet, leaving the modem hardwired to my computer is not an option.  Any ideas on how to adjust my router settings to allow it to connect to my VPN?  I turned off the security options through the app - still won't connect.  

Any assistance would be much appreciated.  Please note that I am by far a computer guru.  If any help provided could be explained at about a 4th grade level, it would be appreciated.

Options
6 Reply
Re:VPN issues
2020-04-14 15:52:19

@john0108 

The Deco units do not have a configuration relating to or block VPN information, by default VPN passthrough (allowing a device to use their own VPN program to connect to the internet) is enabled. You could possibly factory default the Deco units, then try the connection again.

Options
2021-10-28 21:54:11
My deco m5 will connect fine to my work VPN for a few weeks and then it will decide not to for a few weeks. It goes back and forth. I have contacted support and they have no answer. I do not change any settings. If I set up my old ASUS router, it works fine. If I use my phone as a hotspot, it works fine. If I connect my modem to my laptop, it works fine. The problem is with the deco m5 and nobody has an answer for this. The passthrough answer that TP-link is giving is incorrect.
Options
2021-10-29 09:43:10 - last edited 2021-10-29 09:44:15

@Landersams 

Hi, thank you very much for your feedback.

I have found your case record in the ticket system, and I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers.

At the same time,  could you help me check the following details:

1. please go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections, here you will see your VPN connection, and can you send me a screenshot of this page?

--if you right-click it, normally you will see something like “status”, could you please send a picture of it to me as well?

Moreover, Please turn off the Mesh Technology on the Deco APP for this device to see whether it helped or not.

Options
2021-12-17 19:31:44

@TP-Link 
Hi,
I purchased a deco x20 pack and I'm having the same exact problem.

Everytime I connect my work VPN, the connection drops a few seconds later. My second x20 even gets disconnected from the main one, and all my network (WiFi included) freezes for some seconds.

With my old simple router I can connect my work VPN with no problem.

The only diference to @Landersams is that my computer is connected through ethernet and not via WiFi, even though I tried it both ways.

Options
2021-12-21 02:50:01 - last edited 2021-12-21 02:51:57

@PedroAleixo 

Hi, Thank you very much for the feedback.

Later I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers and at the same time, could you please help me check the following information:

1. Were you able to reproduce this issue all the time?

2. Would satellite Deco turn red when it dropped out? Did you need to restart the satellite Deco to get it back online?

3. Did you use the built-in VPN connection to connect to the office VPN server? And is your laptop connected to the main Deco or satellite Deco?

By the way, what is your VPN connection type, PPTP or L2TP?

Options
2022-02-10 21:12:47
I had my brother buy this system to get better coverage around his house. He used it for just over a month with no problems connecting to his work VPN then all of a sudden it stopped working. He can connect from his phone hotspot. This seems to be a problem with this model.
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 3960

Replies: 6

Related Articles