Struggling to get the re300 to connedt

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-04-17 22:49:59
Model: RE300  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am struggeling to get the re300 to connect to my router, c5400x. I've tried wps, either the router doesn't see the extender, or the extender is messed up. The tether app, I've been struggeling with that to. I get all the way to where I enter my password, that's it, it won't connect. The web browser, I can't get it to connect. Nothing is working. I just updated the firmware thinking that might be it, no. I don't know what is going on. Oh, the repeater is 2 ft. from the router. I need help because this is killing me. Thanks

Options
6 Reply
Re:Struggling to get the re300 to connedt
2020-04-18 00:19:17

@wily5150 

Is your C5400X configured with Smart Connect enabled?  If so try disabling Smart Connect and then try to pair the two units together, Tether app is the recommended setup as its very easy and straight forward.  But With a C5400X you should have a wide area of coverage Why would you need a Range Extender in the frist place?

Options
2020-04-18 01:06:19

@Carl yes, smart connect is enabled.

I live in s small house in Florida. Little over 1000 sq ft house. The furthest bedroom has very little signal. I have the router setup wrong. I bought the repeater for that reason. I'm not happy with this router. I thought I'd get more for 300.00

Options
2020-04-18 14:06:20
will a mesh extender such as the re300 work with a non mesh router such as the cx5400x router? If it doesn't, this explains everything. I was reading that tp-link is updating the firmware of non mesh routers so it will be compatible with a mesh extender.
Options
2020-04-18 23:55:32
It should work with any router even non TP Link ones.
Options
2020-04-19 15:46:03

@ArcherC8 Update: I've decided to return everything. This was a nightmare from day 1. The wps didn't work at all. It wouldn't connect anything, laptop, cell, extender. NOTHING. So, I'm returning everything. This has been a 4 day nightmare. I'm not impressed with this router, at all. The wireless signal traveled 30 ft. After that nothing. So our house hasn't had wifi since I hooked it up. I  reactivated the isp's modem/router, and it's awesome. Signal everywhere. The thing I was trying to do is stop renting from my isp. I've probably spent 1000 dollars for their modem/router. Any hoo, thanks for everyone's help. It's been fun, NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
2020-04-20 15:38:58

@wily5150 

1000 Sq Feet should not be an issue for the C5400X.  It is likely a setting issue.  You would not be able to use Smart Connect when using a Range Extender though.  The reason is that the extender can only connect to 1 of the 5GHz bands and with all three bands broadcasting the same SSID the extender will be confused and not be able to connect.   Yes a Range Extender will work with a non-OneMesh router as OneMesh is only a feature and is not needed for the product to be used.  

What is likely the cause of the concern you are having is either something in the enviroment you are deplying the router and range extender in or a setting that needs to be tweaked.  If you still have the products we would recommend either working with us here, though that could take time due to the nature of a forum or through our chat service.  Phone service right now is limited due to COVID-19.  https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/contact-technical-support/

Options