Archer A7 not able to utilize gigabit bandwidth

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-14 12:26:53
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.14 build 20200220 rel. 33197(5553)

I've been trying for some time to get the Archer A7 to run at gigabit speeds.  So far, I've found that the speed when IPv6 is enabled maxes out at less than about 400 mbits.  With IPV6 off, and NAT boost enabled (IPv4), I get better performance, but still nowhere near the gigabit speed.  To confirm that the ISP is capable of gigabit speed, I connect directly to the modem, and see speed run consitently at about 800 mbit (Motorola MB8600 cable modem varies between 700 - 900 mbit).  When I run the same test connected to the A7, I get less than 500 mbit.

Watching the real-time lan speed connected to the modem, and connected to the router I see the difference.  When connected to the modem, the speed goes to 800 mbit, and stays at 800 mbit.  When connected to the router, the speed initially goes to 800 mbit, but gradually drops off to around 300 mbit.  The result is that I can only get about half the speed I'm paying for.

I like the features of the A7, but unless the device is going to be able to maintain gigabit speed, it may be time to retire it for a better performing router.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Archer A7 not able to utilize gigabit bandwidth
2020-12-27 01:12:04
Did you ever upgrade your router and have recommendations? I'm seeing the same issues with my router...
Options
Re:Archer A7 not able to utilize gigabit bandwidth
2020-12-27 13:20:47

@jas00 

I just retested to see if there is any improvement.  I'm running FW 1.0.15 and there is a newer version available (1.0.16).  I'm testing on Comcast 1Gb connection.  Here are the results:

IPv4 : 853Mbps

IPv6 : 334Mbps

So, no I don't see any improvement.  I don't expect to see any improvement with this router because I think it has HW assist for NAT which is only used in IPv4.  My best guess is that IPv6 has no HW assist so I expect it to be slower.  So I continue to operate with IPv6 OFF.

For now I'm happy just using IPv4.  I'm considering upgrading to a 2Gb Comcast connection.  When I do that, I'll need a new router anyway, one that supports link aggregation group which uses multiple Ethernet connections between a modem and router to boost an internet signal past 1 Gbps speeds.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 1174

Replies: 2