deco M5 connection to Fios

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-27 01:06:45
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a FIOS modum/router (Actiontec MI424WR Rev I), which is also connected to a TV box. I understand that I must continue to use this device to retain some FIOSTV functions.  I have two questions:

1. Can you provide instructions for connecting the DECO M5 hub unit to VZ modum/router? For example, what do I need to disable/modify on the VZ modum/router? Do I need to use AP mode for the Deco M5? 

2. Can I hardwire the DECO M5 spoke units via a MOCA adapter? ( My home is wired with FIOS coax cables in several locations, but no ethernet connections).  Is there anything I need to do in terms of programming the M5 spoke units to work via a MOCA adapter.

Many thx

Options
7 Reply
Re:deco M5 connection to Fios
2020-06-29 18:10:26

@Jer33 

1. You do not need to disable anything. However, it would be recommended to turn off the Wi-Fi on your Verizon router so there is no interference with the Deco Wi-Fi. You do not need to run the Deco in AP Mode, but note that setting the Deco to AP Mode will disable most features as it will no longer be a router.

2. There are network switches that do not forward Deco traffic correctly so you may come across that with MOCA adapters if you plan to wire Decos to each other.

Options
2021-01-25 21:28:18

@Jer33   I have the same setup (Actiontec MI424WR), but not clear on how you turn WiFi off on that device?  Any ideas on exactly how to do that?  Thank you.

Options
2021-01-27 17:47:13

@rcspencer1 

You should be able to disable the WiFi on your Actiontec doing the following:

1. Log into admin GUI on Web by entering 192.168.1.1 or myfiosgateway.com in the browser address bar
  2. Enter your admin username and password (default login is on the label on the router). 
  3. Click on Wireless Settings
  4. Click on Wireless Basic Security Settings
  5. Next to Wireless under section 1, select Off  
  6. Click on Apply
Options
2021-01-27 21:59:19
I would be careful of using both devices in router mode. That will cause double NATing and will likely cause connectivity issues between devices. The best option is to place the FIOS router in either Bypass or Passthrough mode, to allow the Deco to handle all router functions.
Options
2021-01-29 14:53:26

@Tony  Thanks so much for this Tony - it worked like a charm!!    I just logged into the Verizon device using 192.168.1.1 and turned off WiFi - very easy!    Thanks again and have a nice weekend.

Options
2021-12-26 03:32:08

@Tony Please help with the sequence.

I have a Verizon FIOS modem/router combo. I want to set up the M5 under the same FIOS network name and password so that I don't have to manually reconnect all my devices.

THREE ROUTES.  WHICH IS BEST?

Set up the M5 under standard installation initially with a new network name.

Then disable the FIOS wireless.

And then rename the M5 network and change the password to the original FIOS network name and password.

OR

Just set up the M5 with the same FIOS name and password.

Then disable the FIOS wireless.

OR

Disable the FIOS wireless first.

Then set up the M5 using my current FIOS network name and password.

Options
2021-12-28 03:50:19

@jjm1701 

I vote for the first one since no devices would stop working before Deco is fully set up.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3883

Replies: 7

Related Articles