Can’t Control TP-Link Switches in Deco App

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-02 12:44:09 - last edited 2020-07-09 15:27:14
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.12

Hello,

I installed a Deco M9 Plus mesh system with three nodes in my home yesterday. The installation was straight forward and most of my devices transferred seamlessly over to the new wifi network.

I have a few wireless TP-Link Kasa light switches that the Deco app found and listed, but when I attempt to move the on/off slider, I am greeted by an error that says, "Failed to save your settings. Please try again later." and the power state of the switches does not change.

I can go into the TP-Link Kasa app and do the same thing (on/off button, not slider) and the power state of the switches changes immediately, so I know everything is working correctly.

I am either doing something incorrectly or there is a bug present in the application.

Can someone please help me with this?

Thank you!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can’t Control TP-Link Switches in Deco App-Solution
2020-07-08 21:03:01 - last edited 2020-07-09 15:27:14

@Tony

I don't know what happened between then and now (maybe an automatic firmware update?), but the Deco app is now controlling all of our TP-Link Kasa light switches. One of the switches, for some reason, didn't want to work. I deleted it, performed a fresh installation and it's been working properly.

Thanks, again, for your support!

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Can’t Control TP-Link Switches in Deco App
2020-07-02 23:01:22

@Wizard_of_Uz 

I would restart the entire Deco system, see if that still happens.

Test the remote and local connection meaning have your phone on Wi-Fi or cell to see if it happens in both instances.

Mainly to see if you can control the switches remotely on Kasa. If you are not able to, select one of the switches and go into the device settings. If remote control is disabled there should be a ticker where you can enable. If remote is working, then you will not see it.

Options
Re:Can’t Control TP-Link Switches in Deco App
2020-07-02 23:48:19

@Tony

First of all, thank you for the ideas!

The only thing I had already tried was rebooting the entire Deco system. That didn't work. I tried again now, just in case, but I still get the same error.

I then tried the other idea you suggested. I turned off Wi-Fi and went through 5G on my phone. I tried to toggle the switches via the Kasa app and the switches all worked correctly. I then tried toggling the switches via the Deco app, but encountered the same error.

It's strange because the Deco app does "see" and list all of my switches and the switches and the mesh system are both manufactured by TP-Link, so this should all theoretically be a seamless integration.

I guess I'll just wait until a firmware update comes along and hope that things change for the better.

Thank you, once again, for trying to help me out. Much appreciated!

Options
Re:Can’t Control TP-Link Switches in Deco App-Solution
2020-07-08 21:03:01 - last edited 2020-07-09 15:27:14

@Tony

I don't know what happened between then and now (maybe an automatic firmware update?), but the Deco app is now controlling all of our TP-Link Kasa light switches. One of the switches, for some reason, didn't want to work. I deleted it, performed a fresh installation and it's been working properly.

Thanks, again, for your support!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1342

Replies: 3