M9 will not reconnect to internet after power outage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-16 17:37:03 - last edited 2021-12-28 07:13:00
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I currently have 3 Deco M9 units in my house.  They work fine, but when the power goes out, they will not reconnect to the internet and the LED on all three units is red.  I have tried unplugging them to reset them.  I have also tried hitting the reset button, but the LED always goes back to being red.  The modem is connected to the internet and an old router works fine.  The only thing that will fix it is to do a factory reset on all three units and to reconfigure the network from scratch.  This obviously is not feasible every time the power goes out (which unfortunately, is frequent for me.)

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:M9 will not reconnect to internet after power outage-Solution
2021-10-12 02:05:14 - last edited 2021-12-28 07:13:00

@KaisaD 

Hi, All,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

If you had the same issue, please leave me a private message about your TP-Link Deco email account and the MAC address on the back label of your current main Deco.

Later I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers directly.

Or you could also send an email to support.forum@tp-link.com.

And at the same time, please help me check some basic information:

1. If not performing a hardware reset on the Deco, would a simple restart or unplugging/plugging the internet cable from the modem restore the connection?

2. Who is your internet service provider and what is your current internet connection type, Dynamic IP or PPPoE?

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:M9 will not reconnect to internet after power outage
2020-08-18 17:28:38 - last edited 2020-08-19 18:16:05

@ngiovas 

If the power goes out the modem probably is not recognizing the router correctly. If that is the case, leave the Deco powered on, and only power down the modem, then boot the modem back up.

If there is a second Etherent cable connected to the main Deco, disconnect that as well.

Options
2020-08-18 20:36:17 - last edited 2020-08-18 20:38:53

@Tony ,

thanks,  I have tried that and it doesn't work.  I have hit the reset button, unplugged it, disconnected the second ethernet cable.  Nothing seems to work.  All previous routers I have had recovered on their own after a power outage.  With this one, all three units have a red LED and will not recover.  The only solution I have been able to come up with is to do a factory reset.  I would have thought that at least the wifi connection would come back up without an internet connection, but that doesn't even happen.

I should have been more clear in my original post - I not only lose internet, but the wifi does not come back up without a factory reset.   The app tells me that it cannot connect to the deco. This happens on all three units.

Options
2020-08-19 18:23:03

@ngiovas 

Ya, at the very least the Wi-Fi should still be broadcasted.

Swap the main Deco with another of the satellite units, the LAN ports on the main Deco may be the problem.

Options
2020-08-23 20:12:06 - last edited 2020-08-23 20:13:46

@Tony try changing the ethernet cords and the ports from the modum to the pods and

make sure the internet is coming in by connecting a computer to the modum directly

Options
2020-11-24 18:29:21

@ngiovas Any updates to this? None of the approaches are working. In my case, the mesh network went down after I power recycled the router. 

Options
2020-11-24 19:09:39

@SurfinAsh after contacting tp-link several times and support telling me that this is totally normal, I finally gave up.  I returned everything to Costco and picked up a set of 3 Orbi mesh network devices and couldn't be happier.  They are WAY better than the tp-link.  Range is much better, speeds are way higher and they re-connect after the power goes out.  Imagine that.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but it was so frustrating to have tp-link blame everything but the device.  One agent just kept telling me "but you got them to reconnect to the network didn't you?  then they work as they should".  Yes, spending over an hour resting a device after a power outage is perfectly normal.  I highly recommend that people avoid tp-link and go with a quality brand with real tech support.

Options
2020-12-05 06:51:05

I just found this thread, after having a power outage over the night (which happens quite frequently where I live). 

All the units are blinking red. And it seems the only way to make them work is to set them all up from scratch (I have 6!!). Even opening the app, the network is not there anymore, it takes me to the "get started" screen. 

It takes quite some time setting them all up again, like ~1h (yellow light, wait, turning red, wait, have to hard reset, wait, blue light etc, sometimes not working so have to repeat). But also, I am not allowed to use the same wifi name despite turning them all off ("network already exists") so I need to set up a new name - meaning changing wifi and password on all devices including TVs, surveillance cameras etc....! 

Please tell me there is a fix in progress for this, if not I will have to change the whole system as well :( especially for the surveillance cameras I am not comfortable with the wifi being out all night just because of a short power outage. 

Options
2021-02-18 22:04:54

@Tony 

this worked for me.

Options
2021-10-11 12:34:34

@Lise Agreed! So frustrating! 
I've sent them mails but they keep giving me tips on what to do to solve it, but I've tried EVERYTHING! And the only thing that works is setting it up again. 3 decos, includng the one in the flat that I rent out.. This is not good enough! When will you see that this is a fairly common problem without any good solution TP-people?!

Options
Re:M9 will not reconnect to internet after power outage-Solution
2021-10-12 02:05:14 - last edited 2021-12-28 07:13:00

@KaisaD 

Hi, All,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

If you had the same issue, please leave me a private message about your TP-Link Deco email account and the MAC address on the back label of your current main Deco.

Later I would like to forward your case to the senior engineers directly.

Or you could also send an email to support.forum@tp-link.com.

And at the same time, please help me check some basic information:

1. If not performing a hardware reset on the Deco, would a simple restart or unplugging/plugging the internet cable from the modem restore the connection?

2. Who is your internet service provider and what is your current internet connection type, Dynamic IP or PPPoE?

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 5661

Replies: 14