Archer A10 Dropping Frequently; Support Said This. . .

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-19 13:47:50
Model: Archer A10  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

14 months new.  Router was running perfectly fine until about a month ago when it randomly started dropping my connection, both ethernet and wifi.  Problem persisted and became worse, now dropping the connection 5-6 times every day.  Cuts out for a few minutes and then comes back on its own 3-4 minutes later.  Contacted support and they suggested a remote service call with one of their techs.  First, we did a factory reset, which I wasn't too happy about.  Didn't fix anything.  Then he "upgraded" from the lastest firmware that was already available for the A10 to some beta version.  Again, I wasn't pleased but went along.  All in all it was a 2.5 hour session and the tech concluded that "This issue seems to be related to the IP Renew for A10 from the ISP.  As you know, A10 has WAN IP to access internet, and has time for this IP and needs to apply for another period time for thisIP."
Not being a techie, I'm not sure what this means.  Can someone explain what I'm looking at?  Bottom line for me is whether or not this is a router defect of my ISP, (Comcast) issue. He has sent me up for a replacement, but if the same issue persists afterwards, what's the point?  Thank you.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer A10 Dropping Frequently; Support Said This. . .
2020-08-19 18:42:44

@Carbo 

What he is talking about is that the IP address you get from your ISP is a dynamically assigned one that at times has a lease timeout and a new one gets reassisgned. What could have happened is a "Bad" IP was assisgned what you can do to help refresh this is power down your modem and disconnect the coaxial cable.  Power up the modem for about 5-10 minutes before reconnecting the Coaxial cable.  This should force the modem to request a new IP address.  But if it is something related to the ISP either this or contacting the ISP may be required.

Options
2020-08-19 20:58:13

@Carl Thank you for the reply.  I'll give that a try and let you know the results.  One question: should the router be powered down and disconnected during this pricedure with the modem?

Options
2020-08-20 18:10:01

@Carbo 

No keep it connected durring the process. 

Options
2020-08-21 18:05:50

@Carbo 

Since you have Comcast, I'll assume you have Cable.

I have Spectrum, and I think the same applies to all cable companies.

Basically you will retain the SAME IP WAN Address, it will not change. It can be changed a few ways, but basically the ISP connects you to a 'box' that has a possible 'x' number of connection. However, there is never 'x' connected but less. So if you don't change what is connected to the end of the cable coming out of the wall (modem, or force a change, or the ISP changes the main box address) it will always be the same.

What you can do is check the ISP's modem. Usually an IP Address of 192.168.100.1 when entered into the address bar of a browser will get you to the modem. Some may require an UserID and Password. For an Arris modem the default of 'admin' as the USERID and either 'admin' or 'password' for the Password will get you in. Look at the Status or Event log looking for errors.

On the STATUS page you will see the UPTIME... and if it is recent, the modem might be rebooting. On the 'log' page you might find errors of some sort. Some are 'normal', but if there are ones when you lost signal, then it is the modem.

If you can, you could also as a test connect a PC direct connect to the modem and see if the PC loses connection as well.

Options
2020-08-21 21:09:10

@IrvSp  Thank you for that info.  Much appreciated.  I'm no techie, but from what I'm seeing after logging into my modem, (Netgear CM1100), the modem isn't the issue.    Under the Basic tab the status is listed as "Good". Uptime is at 258 hours, (so about 11 days).  Under the Advanced tab I found the logs and that's a whole 'nother story.  I might as well be looking at Mandarin. smiley  I've attached a screenshot if you want to take a look.
Also, when the issue began popping up when I lost my internet connection I wired my laptop directly into the router and I regained immediate access to the internet.

File:
Log Files.jpgDownload
Options
2020-08-21 21:43:36

Carbo wrote

Under the Advanced tab I found the logs and that's a whole 'nother story.  I might as well be looking at Mandarin. smiley  I've attached a screenshot if you want to take a look.
Also, when the issue began popping up when I lost my internet connection I wired my laptop directly into the router and I regained immediate access to the internet.

@Carbo 

Well, the T3 timeouts could be a problem.

Might want to look here, 

https://pickmymodem.com/cable-modem-t3-and-t4-timeouts-error-messages-and-how-to-fix-them/

Not always a problem, but it can be common.

=================

Occurrence: Extremely common in the customer homes

Symptom: Will cause intermittent disconnections. If you see couple of them, it is fine. If you quite a few of them consecutively, then it will lead to disconnections.

=================

As you see, I have them too, but no dropouts.

A call to your ISP might be in order. They would be able to determine if this were normal or not.

Carbo wrote

So you are not probably losing Internet but WIRELESS signal...

By the way, there is a LEASE time for you IP WAN Address. Normally at 1/2 the time of the lease a request to get it is sent. Normally you get the same IP Address. Even if it were to change, you'd probably never know it. That answer was a cop-out. My old Netgear router (R7000 and R8000) did show the lease time, for me, 2 days...

A completely different thing. Many different causes. Could be the signal is too weak to stay connected. Interference, distance from router, even a problem with the OS or network adapter driver. Have you tried using the other SSID? Changing the Channel it is on?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1212

Replies: 6