New AX50 Setup. . .SLOW. . .what did I do wrong?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-22 17:37:58
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Decided to treat myself to a router upgrade.  Went from the Archer A10 to the AX50.  I recall the A10 was a true plug and play installation, which is perfect for the echno-dinosaur that I am.  I followed the easy install pamphlet for the AX50 correctly, I believe. But my internet speeds have cratered, both my ethernet connection and wifi networks.
My modem is a Netgear CM1100; ISP is Comcast.  I have the Extreme Pro tier, rated at 600 Mbps.  My laptop is wired directly into the router and it typically pulls 720 Mbps.  Wifi ranges between 350-450 Mbps, depending upon the location of the device.

Now, it's a different story.  All lights on the new router are green.  But the LAN 1 LED on the modem is solid orange. The user manual says "A powered on device is connected to the LAN port at 10 Mbps or 100 Mbps.  Several Speedtest runs confirm both the ethernet and Wifi are pulling down 95-98 Mbps.
What's the weak link?  What did I do wrong?

Options
3 Reply
Re:New AX50 Setup. . .SLOW. . .what did I do wrong?
2020-08-22 20:00:19

Carbo wrote

Decided to treat myself to a router upgrade.  Went from the Archer A10 to the AX50.  I recall the A10 was a true plug and play installation, which is perfect for the echno-dinosaur that I am.  I followed the easy install pamphlet for the AX50 correctly, I believe. But my internet speeds have cratered, both my ethernet connection and wifi networks.
My modem is a Netgear CM1100; ISP is Comcast.  I have the Extreme Pro tier, rated at 600 Mbps.  My laptop is wired directly into the router and it typically pulls 720 Mbps.  Wifi ranges between 350-450 Mbps, depending upon the location of the device.

@Carbo 

OK, so if I read this right, with the A10 connected to the CM1100 you did get the correct speeds (wired, 720Mbps, 600Mbps provisioned @ 20 overspeed and wireless depending on device, correct speed). That all you did was disconnect the A10 and connected the AX50 and set the options on it?

One easy question though. Normally when changing devices connected to a modem, it should be powered off, and then when the new router is connected, powered up, and then the new router powered up once the modem completes its power up. Can we assume you did that?

Carbo wrote

Now, it's a different story.  All lights on the new router are green.  But the LAN 1 LED on the modem is solid orange. The user manual says "A powered on device is connected to the LAN port at 10 Mbps or 100 Mbps.  Several Speedtest runs confirm both the ethernet and Wifi are pulling down 95-98 Mbps.
What's the weak link?  What did I do wrong?

LAN 1 on Modem Orange does mean what you discovered. So, did you use the SAME cable as you had for the A10? Possible the cable was damaged during the change? Do you have another cable to try between the modem and router?

I'll assume you've not changed settings in the modem, especially Link Agregation?

Another thing I'd do, doesn't have anything to do with this problem, but when you switch out the router, and especially if using the same wireless credentials, it might be best to FORGET/DELETE the old network connections and rebuild them.

Options
2020-08-22 21:34:07

IrvSp wrote

OK, so if I read this right, with the A10 connected to the CM1100 you did get the correct speeds (wired, 720Mbps, 600Mbps provisioned @ 20 overspeed and wireless depending on device, correct speed). That all you did was disconnect the A10 and connected the AX50 and set the options on it?

One easy question though. Normally when changing devices connected to a modem, it should be powered off, and then when the new router is connected, powered up, and then the new router powered up once the modem completes its power up. Can we assume you did that?

Yes, to all above.

LAN 1 on Modem Orange does mean what you discovered. So, did you use the SAME cable as you had for the A10? Possible the cable was damaged during the change? Do you have another cable to try between the modem and router?
I did use the same cable; have not tried another one.

I'll assume you've not changed settings in the modem, especially Link Agregation?
Correct.

Let me add an update:  I rebooted, several times, modem, router, laptop.  Tightened all connections.  Flushed the modem's memory.  The orange LED turned green and it has been stable for the past few hours.  I'm hoping this issue can be put to rest.  And thank you for your help!

@IrvSp 

Options
2020-08-22 22:46:51

Carbo wrote

Let me add an update:  I rebooted, several times, modem, router, laptop.  Tightened all connections.  Flushed the modem's memory.  The orange LED turned green and it has been stable for the past few hours.  I'm hoping this issue can be put to rest.  And thank you for your help!

@Carbo 

Quite possible the cable either in the modem or router wasn't fully in. They can go in, make contact, but they don't 'click'. If the right 'pin' doesn't make perfect contact, that could have been the problem.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 588

Replies: 3