Router channel settings.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Router channel settings.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Router channel settings.
Router channel settings.
2020-09-14 08:37:33
Model: Archer C20  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 200526

After brought this router its 2.4ghz channel settings was Auto and worked fine , no problem . To be mention that there is almost 15 different brands 2.4ghz routers operated continiously by my neighours.So there is huge traffic in 2.4ghz..  But from last 3weeks my routers speed droped suddenly and after severel miniutes its speed was recovered as before.Its speed performance was dropped from 100Mbps to 1.2Mbps . After some research I found that if I change my router 2.4ghz network channel manually at channel 9 or 10 it can operate smpoothly and no problem .

So, I have Four questiones.

NO 1.How can the Auto channel settings work ?

NO 2.Why my router always choose channel 2 in auto mode when there is a nearby router with full signal strength ?

NO 3.Why my router wont choose less congested channel like channel 9 or 10 in auto mode ?

NO 4.Should I change my router 2.4ghz channel settings from auto to manually like channel 9 or 10 or less congested channel ?

PLease help according to the serial .

Heres my router channel and signal strength screenshoot. (Sourav Lite) is my network .

Pic 1 .At auto mode.

Pic 2. At manually channel 9 .

Options
3 Reply
Re:Router channel settings.
2020-09-14 11:52:39
I am not sure how a router determines which channel to use and I assume it may vary based on brand and even model as they may try different approaches to do it. Might be not on signal strength of others but amount of traffic at the time it selects the channel or some combo. Since your router auto selection is not the best for you, then by all means. select a specific channel (and width) that works best for you which is why most routers have that option. Not only other WIFI devices affect the channels but so do a lot of other things such as wireless phones, microwaves, weather stations, wireless cameras, garage doors, ham radios, radar, home automation devices, and the list goes on. I recommend you pick a non overlapping channel for your area if you can find one not overused as others will want to do the same. In the US, that is channels 1,6, and 11. And remember router location, direction it faces, antenna placement, height, ... in relation to your devices and other routers will also affect WIFI speed and interference with other signals.
Options
2020-09-15 06:13:39

@ArcherC8 

I have no wireless phone or microwave or any other electrical applience near my router, Except socket for router power.

Options
2020-09-15 12:05:55
The device that interferes does not need to be right next to the router or the device being used. For example radar could be from an airport, airplane. or weather station. They are not suppose to interfere but it does happen. I think most of your interference is from the other routers in the area. Moving your router may help by shielding from other WIFIs or improve the signal in your space, and by selecting a channel that is best for you.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 759

Replies: 3

Related Articles