If a product reaches End of Life support it would be cool by TP-Link to release the firmware source

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

If a product reaches End of Life support it would be cool by TP-Link to release the firmware source

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-16 05:44:48 - last edited 2020-09-16 21:21:03
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 1.0.15

As said in the subject, it would be cool by TP-Link that if a product becomes obsolete and reaches its End of Life support then release the firmware source code and the necesary tools to compress it back again for advanced users that are enthusiast for pushing the product to more functions that oficial TP-link programers never though for. This could be a benefit in both ways to TP-Link, since this would bring a new kind of customer (mainly programers and enthusiast users) that never though on TP-Link as a option so it would open to a new market and second, by giving the source this would bring more movement on this community and TP-link engieneers could also learn from this advanced users on their approches to make new kinds of way for new functionalities that they though that the router couldnt handle it due hardware restrictions or some other limit.

In my case I found that the Archer C7 v5 its a very well adjusted product in terms of cost benefit and I know that it could deliver mutch more but as Ive searched before the router has been left out on newer firmware releases and as said in earlier post it lacks on some features like:

Not having a DLNA server

It does support IPv6 in various ways but lacks the feature of 6in4 Tunnel (this is not the same as 6to4 config), this could lead to TunnelBroker support for example.

Also support other options of Dynamic DNS, like a custom config profile.

Has OpenVPN Server but I dont know why the router keeps pushing 8.8.8.8 and the router DNS server to the clients, why does it add 8.8.8.8 (I mean this because I use a custom DNS server and by adding 8.8.8.8 ruins my config).

Add WINS server IP option on the DHCP server setup (for older devices).

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:If a product reaches End of Life support it would be cool by TP-Link to release the firmware source-Solution
2020-09-16 12:25:39 - last edited 2020-09-16 21:21:03
You do have the GPL code https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/gpl-code/
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:If a product reaches End of Life support it would be cool by TP-Link to release the firmware source-Solution
2020-09-16 12:25:39 - last edited 2020-09-16 21:21:03
You do have the GPL code https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/gpl-code/
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:If a product reaches End of Life support it would be cool by TP-Link to release the firmware source
2020-09-16 21:20:55

@sebholz 

AS Archer C8 pointed out most products do have the GPL source listed already on our site.  This is how 3rd parties easily create their open source FW alternatives.  No need to wait till the product is end of life.  However i would caution against it prior to the warranty expiring.  Alterations to the firmware, which includes 3rd party open source firmware will void your warranty. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1908

Replies: 2

Related Articles