Network is blocking encrypted DNS Traffic

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-24 12:05:50 - last edited 3 weeks ago
Model: Archer A7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Just purchased my Archer A7 TP Link AC1750 wireless router. When connected to my Iphone i am getting a privacy warning under the WIFI connection stating that "this network is blocking encrypted DNS Traffic. The names of websites and other servers your device accesses on this network may be monitored and recorded by other devices on this network. "

I never had this warning before with my other WIFI router. Is it something i should be concerned with and is there a way to change it so i don' t have this warning anymore.

Thank you in advance.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Network is blocking encrypted DNS Traffic-Solution
2021-11-17 07:01:19 - last edited 2021-11-17 07:01:27

Hello @tpndrcn and all,

We share what we have confirmed about the "Network is blocking encrypted DNS Traffic" error with the community users.

Ever since iOS 14, Apple started supporting encrypted DNS, and sometimes you might get this“ privacy warning: this network is blocking encrypted DNS ” notice on your iOS devices when they are connected to a network that did not support encrypted DNS. The Archer routers don't support encrypted DNS now, but they can forward the traffic to the DNS servers without an issue.

Try figuring this out, you can try the following:

1. Go to the Wi-Fi Settings of your iOS devices, forget/delete the network, then reconnect to it again. Check and confirm if the privacy warning will disappear.

2. If that doesn't help, try changing the DNS servers on the router to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1 (Under Advanced > Network > Internet).1 manually, then go to the Wi-Fi Settings of your iOS devices, forget/delete the network, then reconnect to it again.

Recommended Solution
Options
13 Reply
Re:Network is blocking encrypted DNS Traffic
2020-09-24 17:41:58

@tpndrcn 

Another user had a similar issue here: https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/228148

Turns out it was their modem that needed to be rebooted a couple of times.

Options
2021-03-20 13:48:23

@tpndrcn disabling WMM immediately disappeared the warning on my iPhone. Router model is AX1500.

Options
2021-11-15 09:08:08 - last edited 2021-11-15 09:08:46

Same issue on my Omada-setup (OC200, EAP245, etc). WMM is configured for each EAP for each band. Go to your EAP, config advanced. After rebooting EAP's and iPhone, the privacy warning is gone.

Options
Re:Network is blocking encrypted DNS Traffic-Solution
2021-11-17 07:01:19 - last edited 2021-11-17 07:01:27

Hello @tpndrcn and all,

We share what we have confirmed about the "Network is blocking encrypted DNS Traffic" error with the community users.

Ever since iOS 14, Apple started supporting encrypted DNS, and sometimes you might get this“ privacy warning: this network is blocking encrypted DNS ” notice on your iOS devices when they are connected to a network that did not support encrypted DNS. The Archer routers don't support encrypted DNS now, but they can forward the traffic to the DNS servers without an issue.

Try figuring this out, you can try the following:

1. Go to the Wi-Fi Settings of your iOS devices, forget/delete the network, then reconnect to it again. Check and confirm if the privacy warning will disappear.

2. If that doesn't help, try changing the DNS servers on the router to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1 (Under Advanced > Network > Internet).1 manually, then go to the Wi-Fi Settings of your iOS devices, forget/delete the network, then reconnect to it again.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-11-20 18:51:11

1 big big side effect of disabling WMM: speed. My 5GHz switched back to 54 Mbps. See https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/151677

Switched WMM on again.

Options
2021-12-19 19:40:54

@tpndrcn 

I had the same with my AX6000 - changed from WPA2-PSK to WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK remaining with AES for the encryption, and the warning is no longer showing.

So this seems to be a better setting for the Apple Devices from what I can see.

Hope that helps!

Options
2021-12-30 07:31:25

I started getting the same error message today, after almost using my new iPhone and tp-link AX1800 Wi-Fi 6 Router for a year. Got the firmware update installed, didn't work. Did the "forget network" thingy, and reconnected... it worked cool

Options
2022-01-06 23:45:27

@Kevin_Z 

This worked, thank you.  Had to forget/reconnect to the network after manually changing the DNS server addresses on the Deco router and the iPhone itself to 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1.

Options
2022-01-11 09:30:22

Hello @Muscovite and @apukun, thank you both for updating me on this topic, I'm happy to see the warning disappears after you forget the network and reconnect. Great job.

Options
2022-01-16 20:17:02

@Muscovite did the warnings on iPhone stay away, after a week and after you changed  the DNS setting (8888 1111) in the router? Or did the warming come back?

Options

Information

Helpful: 4

Views: 63695

Replies: 13

Related Articles