Router boots up too quickly after power outage

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-09-25 21:41:18
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 3.15.3 Build 180114 Rel.39265n

After a power outage, my AC1750 router boots up quicker than my cable modem ( Arris Surfboard SB6151).  This results in the router never getting properly linked up to the cable modem and resulting in no home network access to the internet. 

I don't believe this is a problem unique to my TP Link router, as instructions for installing routers from everyone recommends booting a cable modem first, before the router.

Not usually a problem when we are at home, however, the most recent power outage occurred early in a 10 day trip away, and so our home network was down until we returned home.  We could not remotely access our security cameras, our NAS, Ring doorbell, etc.  (and I really need to get a UPS for the DVR so as to avoid missing important episodes of Real Housewives, etc. but that is a separate problem:-)

Is there any way to slow or delay the boot up of the router after a power outage so it connects after the cable modem is ready?

Thanks!

Options
1 Reply
Re:Router boots up too quickly after power outage
2020-09-25 22:29:08
A UPS will help for those short outages. My ArcherC8 and Motorola MB8600 recover fine after a long power outage (had one last week). A possible part solution is to have the router reboot on a schedule (see https://www.tp-link.com/us/user-guides/archer-a7&c7_v5/chapter-16-manage-the-router#ug-sub-title-6) or add a timer. At least you will recover on a schedule, downside it may affect some of your devices such as watching that very late night show.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 570

Replies: 1