Multiple issues with AX6000

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-14 21:20:55
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20200714 rel.18254(5553)

Having two separate issues with the AX6000:

• 'Cannot connect to [SSID]' error
    • Periodically (~2-3x/wk) seeing a 'cannot connect to [SSID]' error on a number of Apple devices (Macbook Pro 16", iPhone 11 Pro, etc). Once this occurs, nothing will get the Wifi to connect except fully restarting the computer (or power off/on for the iPhones). I've tried turning the Wifi off/on, repetitively manually selecting the SSID; only fully rebooting devices will restore connectivity. I'm not sure if somethign similar is happening to non-Apple devices
    • Have never had this issue with previous router which leads me to believe this is some kind of firmware bug in the router, but I will also add that Apple recently did send out a software update (can't remember if it was Mac-only, iOS-only, or both) with something about fixing a potential issue with wifi connectivity in the release notes. Despite installing this update, still having the same issue intermittently.
  • Periodic loss of internet connection
    • Periodically (~2-3x/wk) losing internet connection (but not wifi connection) on all devices connected to the network for about 2-4 minutes; this self-resolves after a few minutes. I'm using fios and Verizon insists that they conducted a line test and nothing is wrong. During these episodes, the router's status page does indicate that it has lost internet / WAN connection. I would normally trust that indicator and argue with Verizon to try to get them to send someone out, however a) I never had a single issue with the fios connectivity using my previous router, and b) this router's firmware has been extremely buggy (the above issue as well as another one with devices not able to communicate with each other across 2.4ghz/5ghz bands which has now thankfully been resolved).

Hoping that these can be addressed in a future firmware update / curious if others have experienced the same!

Options
8 Reply
Re:Multiple issues with AX6000
2020-10-15 13:01:01
For your apple devices, change the band width in the WIFI settings if available. See https://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-kindly-fix-your-wi-fi-on-ios/ for more info.
Options
2020-10-15 13:17:22

@ArcherC8 

ArcherC8 wrote

For your apple devices, change the band width in the WIFI settings if available. See https://www.zdnet.com/article/apple-kindly-fix-your-wi-fi-on-ios/ for more info.

This article is 6 years old; the iPhones in question have Wi-Fi 6. There is no setting to change Wifi bandwidth in iOS that I'm aware of.

Not completely ruling out that there is some issue with iOS not playing nice with this router, but I don't have this issue with the same devices on other networks (including many hours at the office on that network), and I didn't have the issue at home either with my previous Netgear router. I would also think that TP-Link would do extensive testing with iOS devices considering how ubiquitous they are.

Options
2020-10-15 14:01:06
The WIFI band width change would be in the router's WIFI settings for each band. You may need to turn HomeCare off to get to those settings. Some devices prefer a narrow band and other devices a wide band. Each band width has it good and bad points and both are in spec. My TP-Link router does not have an issue with my Apple products except once in a while one of the iPads has a problem in the far reaches of the house and another iPad right next to it has no issue both on the same network.
Options
2020-10-15 16:22:35

@Eab6287 

Do you still have smart connect enabled? If so, try disabling it.

Regarding the WAN you could try swapping the Ethernet cable out. If you happen to still have your old router are you able to install that and leave it for as long as the AX router was when the issue of dropping started?

Options
2020-10-18 15:11:01

@Tony I tried disabling SmartConnect and am now using separate 2.4ghz and 5ghz SSIDs (manually connecting the 5ghz-capable devices to that band). For whatever reason, the 5ghz band seems to be the one causing all of the trouble (e.g. still seeing various devices giving the 'unable to connect to [SSID]' error on the 5ghz network but not the 2.4ghz network. In the course of changing many of the devices to manually connect to the separate 5ghz SSID, I noticed now that it is no longer only Apple devices having an issue, but also for example a Samsung SmartTV (try to connect to 5ghz SSID with correct password, seeing a ' connection failed' error. 

In an attempt to address this, I tried switching the authentication mode to 'WPA/WPA2' w/ AES (rather than the originally-selected / default WPA2/WPA3'), thinking that maybe something to do with using the WPA2/3 setting was not playing nice with the non-WPA3-capable devices. This seemed to have something to do with the issue, because my Samsung TV then successfully connected right away.

However, I am still seeing periodic issues with Apple devices (iPad, AppleTV) refusing to connect to the 5ghz SSID with the 'unable to connect' error.

Tony wrote

@Eab6287 

Do you still have smart connect enabled? If so, try disabling it.

Regarding the WAN you could try swapping the Ethernet cable out. If you happen to still have your old router are you able to install that and leave it for as long as the AX router was when the issue of dropping started?

The WAN issue hasn't happened in a few days so just crossing my fingers on that one for the moment.

Any other ideas? I really am starting to wonder honestly if I somehow got a lemon / bad hardware on this router unless others are having the same issue. I just have never had so many issues with basic functionality with a router before.

Options
2020-10-21 15:49:41

@Eab6287 

If the issues persist I would follow up with support right away.

Options
2021-11-10 22:44:06

@Tony I have the same issue. I believe it has to do with the private address option on Apple. But I think it has to do with how the router assigns IP addresses. 

if you leave your network (forget) and rejoin it grabs a different IP address. 

I think that, the phone stores an IP it wants even in an automatic setting. I leave the house x amount of hours, a smart device powers online and grabs that IP then when I come home, the phone tries to grab the same Address and can't. 

Options
2021-11-12 11:38:31

@rcurci2 

I honestly agree with you. You can try to turn off the Private MAC address on the Apple devices then monitor again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1645

Replies: 8

Related Articles