Can't take ownership of router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-10-31 17:16:58
Model: Archer AX20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: V1. 2

I bought a "new" router online from Newegg "out of box." So I'm assuming an employee logged in with their email or it was returned to the store. Either way, I cannot bind my tp-link ID to the thing. I've registered it and included my proof of purchase with ya. Ok, so I've reset it using the button on the back with a pencil, holding it in until the lights flashed and it reset. I've downloaded and installed newer firmware. Couldn't get that to work except with the backup and restore option, otherwise I get an "invalid file type" even though it's a bin file. Basically, I can use it locally, but I can't use it remotely. It tells me I "cannot login to this router since you are not a manager of it. Please ask the owner to add you to the managers list." Please tell me there's a solution that doesn't involve a hammer, or alternately, having to wait for a replacement.

To summarize. I am the owner, would you please tell my router that. Thank you.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Can't take ownership of router
2020-11-01 16:00:01
I would think you would have to contact TP Link support directly and have them reset the user-id as they would have the tools to do it. I would not think anyone on the forum would have access to the database.
Options
2020-11-01 16:18:18

@ArcherC8 

They don't seem to be able to do anything either. They keep bouncing me around from tech to tech. I bought the router on 10/10. It's now 11/1 and they have no idea so far.They keep telling me to reset my router. Someone elses ID is bound to the router, and resetting it isn't changing that. I was just now told my case was considered closed and would I please rate their level of service. No. No I will not, except for crap. Crap level.

Options
2020-11-01 16:20:16

@Dollactica 

I'm also being told to login. And to press login. Just press it. That should miraculously do something.I hope my level of frustration is showing. It's kinda high right now.

Options
2020-11-01 17:44:28
As I understand your issue is that TP-Link's online database has your 'open box' router already assigned to some other userid/password and that you do not have access to that user-id/password. Although I assume they do not have access to the database, try and connect directly with either Carl or Tony as they are TP Link employees and maybe they can get you connected with the right resource. If they can not help, see if you can return it.
Options
2020-11-02 22:35:05

@Dollactica 

I responded to your message but i wanted to respond here as well.  

I see one of the cases is still open. If I understand you bought a "used/open box" item and its already bound to a TP-Link ID. If you reset it and then go to bind it to your TP-Link ID the system will not allow it because the server shows its bound to another ID is that correct?

Options
2020-11-03 03:18:06
Yes, that's correct
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2273

Replies: 6

Related Articles