Archer AX11000 TRi Band Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-11-28 23:10:11
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20200716 rel.84595(5553)

Trying to setup and configure my brand new TP Link Archer AX11000 Tri Band router, and we have gotten just two devices out of around 30 to connect to the 2.4 GHz  band, but not to the 5 GHz bands. We put the SSID names and the passwords, but had to change the 2.4 password we were using with our previous Nighthawk router, but want to replace that password to a new one. Our iphone 6's won't connect no matter what, as our WeMo and other wireless devices. are there tricks or tips that we can do to completly setup the router. We had no issue getting the internet setup, and it's doing greeat, but allowing our other devices to connect is another story. Can someone please help? Thank you!

Options
7 Reply
Re:Archer AX11000 TRi Band Router
2020-11-28 23:38:23

@TomNSue 

Are you using the SAME SSID's as the old router? If so, need to FORGET the old network connections.

Secondly, do you have Smart Connect enabled for Wifi?

Lastly, explain what you actually did and what happened, especially if you got an error displayed? I mean did the device actually see an SSID? Did you press CONNECT? Were you presented with a password prompt? What happened after you provided the password?

Options
2020-11-29 01:44:57 - last edited 2020-11-29 02:03:12

@IrvSp yes my old router was only dual band and we are using the same SSID's but adding a third SSID for the third band. So I need to change all of the connections information including the SSIDs? If that's correct will change tomorrow. Ok so the only way we got the connection on the iPad was to uncheck the "private address" then just the 2.4 would connect. But before that would get error saying unable to connect because password was incorrect. But connected with a privacy warning. The 5Ghz bands still won't connect. I read about if you see that the SSIDs are visible but still cannot connect get the password key from under the router and try which will try tomorrow and hopefully will connect. Just don't understand why this is so complicated. We tried the Smart Connect but with that selected all the bands got the same info. That's not what we want but three different bands with all three with different connection info. What are we doing wrong? 🥺

Options
2020-11-29 13:23:16
Leave Smart Connect off. You can use the same SSIDs and password as the old router but beware that some devices will not connect so you need to delete (forget) the network on the device then reestablish the connection. The userid and password on the bottom of the router is for your initial setup and if you do a factory reset. I strongly recommend you change the user ID and Password on you router. If your router is in a secure place, then you can tape the new user id and password to the bottom so you do not forget.
Options
2020-11-29 14:52:15

@TomNSue 

Using the SAME SSID is probably part of the problem. Devices will retain the save device information, that includes the SSID name, Password, and IP Address of the router and possibly a MAC Address, depends on the devices. Most will try to connect automatically on power up. If the old and new router have the same exact IP Address, SSID Channel, and Security, in many cases it will work. I've done that when I need to put in my backup router at times.

Even with the 3rd SSID, unless you had deleted (forgot) the network connection on a device, it will still try to connect to what it had been connected before.

Once you 'forget' the Network Connection and try to connect, on a dual band device, you should see 3 SSID's. Once you try to connect to one, and it succeeds, some devices might always try to repeat that connection on power up.

A word about Tri-bands. Some have higher frequencies or options, like MU-MIMO, that some devices will not work with, even channel width. Same goes for Security. Some devices can't connect to all the router might present.

Lastly, AX routers can cause other problems. I have no AX devices, but I did have one device that didn't like that speed enabled it seemed. Had to disable that speed in settings and the device worked better. Also, some older AX adapter's didn't always connect.

As a test, I would turn on Smart Connect. Then DELETE on all devices connections (how to do that varies by device). Then see if ALL devices connect. Can try with no security if you run into problems. IF all do, disable Smart Connect, have 3 individual SSID's, set your security, and then connect each device. Get an error on any, post back with the error and details of the SSID like channel, security, and channel width, and the specific device spec's.

Options
2020-11-29 15:09:27

TomNSue wrote

Ok so the only way we got the connection on the iPad was to uncheck the "private address" then just the 2.4 would connect. But before that would get error saying unable to connect because password was incorrect. But connected with a privacy warning.

@TomNSue 

Not sure what you meant by 'private address'? My iPad has it checked? Connects to any of my 3 SSID's? I'm wondering if you 'IPv4 - Configure IP Address' was set to manual? In you would have entered the IP Address you wanted, like 192.168.0.33. However, if your router had a different IP Address than the old one, like 192.168.1.1, you could NOT connect.

Also, read this link, https://wifinowglobal.com/news-and-blog/new-private-wi-fi-address-iphone-feature-could-severely-impact-the-wi-fi-industry-expert-says/, as it explain 'private address'. I do NOT try to assign an IP address to my iPad. I can see if this were on though, you can't RESERVE and IP Address on the router. Would have to set it MANUALLY under IPv4 settings. After reading this I know understand some issues I had with device names on my router. Thanks for making me look this iOS 14 change.

Unless you have a reason to have the iPad at a specific IP Address, I'd leave on Private Address.

I have seen iPad and iPhone security warnings. I believe those are f/w problems, not iOS.

Options
2020-11-30 05:28:59

@IrvSp so you two guys really have made our setting up this router very understandable and when my wife unchecked the access control it seemed like a bulb went off and all three of our bands are connectable and besides a few devices we are back up and running thanks to you guys. Thanks a bunch! 😎😎😎😎

Options
2020-12-01 05:27:30

@TomNSue after about three days and the help of two great guys our AX11000, is setup and running and purring like a kitten. Patience is the key word. You must step back several times so the router and the WiFi connect correctly then you will have a great system and a fast system. Thank you to all involved. 🧐🧐🧐🧐

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1742

Replies: 7

Related Articles