WMM causes other devices to not connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

WMM causes other devices to not connect

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
31 Reply
Re:WMM causes other devices to not connect
2021-05-20 09:21:40 - last edited 2021-05-24 10:50:12

@RichardTsang

I have the same problem with AX73

• With WMM enabled all devices can connect to wifi network no problem
  • With WMM disabled some devices stop being able to connect to wifi network

Any device with OS made by Apple (Macbook, iMac, iPhone, AirPort Express) and also Sonos speakers can not connect to wifi with WMM disabled. If I dualboot my iMac into Windows 10, it can connect to wifi even when WMM is disabled. Apple guidelines acknowledges the WMM requirement in “Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points” https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068

WMM - Set to Enabled

WMM (Wi-Fi multimedia) prioritizes network traffic to improve the performance of a variety of network applications, such as video and voice. All routers that support Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n) or later should have WMM enabled by default. Disabling WMM can affect the performance and reliability of devices on the network.

I would gladly leave AX73 WMM setting to enabled, but it interferes with online gaming. Online games are extra laggy with WMM enabled. So far there seems to be no solution but to manually disable WMM when I want to play a game online. This is a major pain for me.

Later Edit

Sadly I was not able to find a solution to the problem of AX73 throttling the online gaming traffic on wifi network. Returned the router to seller and got a refund.

Options
2021-06-16 20:01:56

I'm experiencing the same issue with an Archer AX1500.

I disabled WMM in a desperate effort to find a solution for another issue (timeouts every 30s) and all of the devices disconnected from Wi-fi and could not reconnect (no, I didn't change the password while disabling WMM).

Devices behaviour:

- MacBook: invalid password error

- Windows laptop: invalid password error

- Android phone: hanging for a couple of minutes before throwing an invalid password error

- Apple phone: invalid password error

- Sony TV: hanging indefinitely

I connected to the router using an ethernet connection, re-enabled WMM, and all devices were now able to connect.

I'm still having the timeout issue so I would like to test without WMM. Is there any configuration combination that will allow me to disable WMM and still have a working Wi-fi network?

Options
2021-06-28 21:12:30

Same issue here, wmm off devices can't connect. Just got an ax20 and would like to know if this is being fixed or should I just return this garbage?

Options
2021-07-08 03:32:38

I thought I was going crazy until I found this thread. I splurged on a new Archer AX90 and disabled WMM because I shouldn't need it, and it cause 75% of my connected devices to be forcibly removed from the network (and they couldn't reconnect). It wasn't even a brand-specific thing, as my Ring Chime stayed connected but my Ring Chime Pro was forced off. Re-enabling the setting allowed everything back on. There's obviously a bug here. I've had so many problems with settings on this new router, with this just being the next in a long line of problems :-( My Sonos One refuses to connect to outside services and won't play music or respond to "Alexa" despite me manually opening all the ports Sonos uses, which is why I was fiddling with settings like WMM in the first place. With my old ASUS router I had none of these issues, it all "just worked." I was just hoping to upgrade to WiFi 6 speeds for my new WiFi 6 enabled devices, but this has now cost me more troubleshooting time than the router is worth. It may have to go back :-/

Options
2021-07-26 00:21:06

@rockridge0908  Agree with you all on this thread. Exact same issue on . If i disable WMM , none of my devices can connect. 

I have a Netgear Night hawk , was hoping this would upgrade ( that has some antena issue ) but this is worse.

Firmware Version:

1.0.0 Build 20200621 rel.76096(5553)

Hardware Version:

Archer AX3200 v1.0

Options
2021-07-26 03:05:07 - last edited 2021-07-26 12:11:14

@betterwifi 

WMM function can guarantee the packets with high-priority messages being transmitted preferentially. Remember that WMM is a subset of the IEEE 802.11e standard, which means you will get the link speed of 54 Mbps when it is disabled. It is strongly recommended to enable this function.

Regarding the speed issue, please check and confirm if the QoS is configured correctly as per this guide first, then report back if the speed is still slow:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/3069/

Options
2021-08-12 12:23:22

@Kevin_Z This issue doesn't really relate to QoS. Last night I had only 1 device connected to AX10 via 5GHz and suddenly my ping to the router increased to 500ms up to timeouts. I was sitting 0,5m from the router.

It is unthinkable how anyone can even try to justify this situation. This is purely a bug which should've been fixed BEFORE putting this device to stores. But OK mistakes happen, just fix the issue.

Options
2021-08-31 01:48:10 - last edited 2021-08-31 01:57:53

@RobKr @Kevin_Z 

same issue here, Archer AX1800 v1.20, 1.3.1 Build 20210521 rel.72704(5553)

with WMM strange pings between machines on the WiFi, unusable for ssh sessions which I use A LOT on my LAN.

with WMM off, can't connect to the WiFi, even if forgot/deleted WiFi on clients and router restart

(either invalid password, can't connect, or connecting indefinitely - depending on OS; same behavior as @Edrep  reported who didn't even get a response btw despite giving detailed error description; )

This IS ridiculous and obviously a bug throughout the latest Archer firmwares. @tplink: please acknowledge and advise in case there is a workaround.

This after I just returned a AX3000 because of it being unusable to me (no one-mesh and super-instable WiFi when repeater set up as 2nd WiFi device) and 

This after my (actually beloved) AX7 died less than 2.5 yrs after purchase (which felt like planned obsolescence; one eth dev stopped working, otherwise device was fine)

Really TP-Link? If I need to return this one, this was my last TP-Link product (after > 10 years of exclusive use and recommending to and setting up at friends.)

Or does one have to inform the twitter-sphere to be heard and supplied with stable firmware?

Options
2021-08-31 02:38:09

@RobKr 

Hello, my previous reply to betterwifi regarding the QoS settings is because he mentioned the speed is not as good as expected when WMM is on. So your's another case now.

Are you saying there is no ping spike or high ping if you disable WMM on the AX10? What is the current firmware version on the AX10 now?

What is the device you are testing with the 5G connectivity? How about the 2.4G, is it more stable?

Options
2021-08-31 02:42:45

@w321 

Hi, as mentioned earlier, the WMM function can guarantee the packets with high-priority messages are being transmitted preferentially, you will get the link speed of 54 Mbps when it is disabled. So we recommend enabling WMM on the router.

We also want to confirm what's or what are devices that connect to the AX1800 network get strange pings, how about the adapter models and OS versions?

Options
Related Articles