Can't assign IP outside of the range set in the DHCP server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-12-17 16:16:08

I have my subnet set to 255.0.0.0 with DHCP set to give out IPs from 10.0.0.100 to 10.0.0.254, but I can't assign an IP outside of that range even though it would be valid in the subnet.

I want to assign some devices to a static IP outside of the DHCP range for organization.

Options
16 Reply
Re:Can't assign IP outside of the range set in the DHCP server
2020-12-17 18:53:09

@DanTheMan827 

You could try setting the IP address on the device itself which the router should be able to communicate with if the information is correct.

Alternatively, you could also try setting the subnet to 255.255.255.0 and gives out IPs in the same range.

Options
2020-12-18 15:53:39 - last edited 2020-12-18 15:54:14

@Tony I prefer to have the router assign the IPs rather than configuring it on all the devices, it makes things a lot easier to manage.

My IP subnet is 10.0.0.0/8 with DHCP serving from 10.0.0.100-254

I like to put my smart plugs and whatnot in the 10.1.0.x IP range and I've actually discovered that if I set the DHCP pool to something larger that I can assign the IP and when I set the DHCP pool back to normal the assigned IP still functions.

So it appears that the Deco app is limiting IP manual assignments to the DHCP range when it doesn't need to instead of limiting it to the range of the subnet.

Options
2021-10-11 05:35:41

@DanTheMan827

Unsure whether you found a solution for this since I got the same issue.

I got the DHCP pool on 192.168.1.100-254 and want to keep 192.168.1.2 to .99 for manual allocation, but my device Archer AX55 is not allowing that.

Getting an error message

Enter an IP address within the IP address pool.

Options
2021-10-11 07:47:03

@lakmal5566 

Why do you need to do an address reservation for the IP address outside the DHCP address pool? Those IP addresses are not assigned to the connected devices by the router DHCP server, so there is no need to reserve them in the network.

If you do want to do an address reservation for the IP from 192.168.0.2-0.99, you can enlarge the DHCP address pool on the AX55 to be 192.168.0.2-0.254, then do reservation for the devices that you want to use the specific IP address. Or, you can manually configure the static IP address on the client device itself as described here.

Options
2021-10-11 08:02:38

@Kevin_Z 

Well, there are few reasons. Mainly to keep things neat and tidy.

I like to make my printers 192.168.1.11 to 192.168.1.20, and VMs 21-30, and workstations 31-40 and so on. Makes the devices organised. The other devices I would not RDP, SMB or don't really care for IP address (Google Home, Echo Dot, mobile phones) are outside that range (101-254). So only devices I want will be on the 2-99 range.

I had this setup on my previous TP-Link Archer VR500v (https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/dsl-modem-router/archer-vr500v/) but it's not available on Archer AX55.

On the VR500v, the address pool was the same, 100-254 and allocation worked without any issue but on AX55, it telling "Enter an IP address within the IP address pool."

Options
2022-03-29 13:47:19

@Kevin_Z   My two HP Laserjet printers won't "wake-up" after going to "sleep".  I contacted HP about it and had me change the IP address on the printers to a static instead of one issued by the router.  This was their response verbatum:

While DHCP is convenient, devices such as printers (wired and wireless) should always be assigned a static (fixed) IP address manually to avoid conflicts on your wireless network and MUST be outside the DHCP address range of the router. This is because printers are the only external devices that do not have the ability to automatically interrupt the router for a new DHCP address once the least time expires.  Again, do not have the printers static IP within the DHCP range of the router as this is against Networking 101 rules and will confuse the router.

I contacted Tp-link and was told i had to buy a more robust router to do this (mine is the "entry level" AX1800 Wi-Fi 6 router).

Options
2022-03-31 03:17:55

UTennesseedog wrote

@Kevin_Z   My two HP Laserjet printers won't "wake-up" after going to "sleep".  I contacted HP about it and had me change the IP address on the printers to a static instead of one issued by the router.  This was their response verbatum:

While DHCP is convenient, devices such as printers (wired and wireless) should always be assigned a static (fixed) IP address manually to avoid conflicts on your wireless network and MUST be outside the DHCP address range of the router. This is because printers are the only external devices that do not have the ability to automatically interrupt the router for a new DHCP address once the least time expires.  Again, do not have the printers static IP within the DHCP range of the router as this is against Networking 101 rules and will confuse the router.

I contacted Tp-link and was told i had to buy a more robust router to do this (mine is the "entry level" AX1800 Wi-Fi 6 router).

@UTennesseedog If the HP printers require to use static IP addresses that must be outside the DHCP address range of the router, you will need to manually configure that on the printers themself. As discussed above, the IP address that you want to do an address reservation must be in the address pool, that is why you need it. Understand how Address Reservation works, please visit Address Reservation: An Easy Way to Configure Static IP Addresses.

Options
2022-08-13 15:59:21

@Kevin_Z So why even have a DHCP range, or why not default to 2-249?  Why limit reserveds to 32?  Does TP-Link make a router that can do 100 static ips?

Options
2022-08-13 16:05:38
For that matter, why limit the lease to 2880 minutes/48 hours? More would be semi-static.
Options
2022-08-16 14:49:16

@DanTheMan827 

IP reservations, configured in the router, are still managed by the DHCP protocol so you need to stay in that range. If you want devices to have static IPs outside that range, they need to be configured on those devices.  Your options would be to open up the DHCP range to most of the space so you can then assign the static IPs in one place, the router, or configure each device individually.

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 5485

Replies: 16