Can 2 different TP LINK Routers in 2 separate homes be controlled separately?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-01-11 03:45:02 - last edited 2021-01-11 04:05:31
Model: Archer AX1500  
Hardware Version: V6
Firmware Version:

Newb here, so sorry for the probable dumb question.

In our home way up in the cold north we have a TP Link AC1900 Archer C9 running so that we can monitor a WiFi water leak detector. We are currently in a RV park in much warmer Texas for the winter and the WiFi in the RV park is extremely slow. It is supposedly 3mbps up and 3 down, but the bandwidth is very limited, the cable guy said. The community's cable company which supplies the WiFi offers a higher speed WiFi package that I planned on ordering. (I think they provide a poorly performing WiFi just to sell more high speed packages, but that's another story)

After having pretty good luck with the AC1900 C9 at home, I decided to buy a AX1500 Wi-Fi 6 Router to set up in the RV.

1. Will setting up another TP LInk router here interfere in any way with our router settings back home? My guess is no, because the cable/WiFi provider up north is a different cable/WiFi provider here in Texas.

2. Would I want to set up a different username and password that we use up north to set up the Texas router network?

3. Can 2 different TP Link routers in 2 different homes be set up and controlled separately? My guess is yes, because this situation will be two different cable/wifi providers?

4. Anything else I should know?

TIA

Options
5 Reply
Re:Can 2 different TP LINK Routers in 2 separate homes be controlled separately?
2021-01-12 02:38:17

@AudioNut 

1) No.

2) You can use the same WIFI userid and passwords since they are not in the same WIFI area. For security reasons, using a different one is a better option.

3) Yes. 

4) Although I have not used one, consider a travel router to see if it is a better fit. They have more connection options.

Options
Re:Can 2 different TP LINK Routers in 2 separate homes be controlled separately?
2021-01-12 02:39:34
Sorry for all the posts but I was getting a server exception message....
Options
2021-01-12 15:25:17

@ArcherC8 

So to answer #1 and #3, would it be "no" because in this situation there is a different cable/wifi provider up north than there is here in Texas? Or is there some other reason? I do not want to inadvertently knock the router up north off line somehow.

I just thought of another question. If I had to or wanted to, is there a way to somehow log into the router up north is there a way to do that?

Unrelated, but, I wanted to copy and paste some stuff here instead of re-typing, but the menu to copy and paste doesn't appear with a right click of my mouse here for some reason. Any ideas how to copy and paste here?

Options
2021-01-12 15:59:53

@AudioNut 

Number 1 would be no in that they are two separate routers so what changes you make up north doesn't reflect the one in Texas.

There is another way to log into the router remotely without using Tether.

Here is a guide to set up the remote management using a web GUI rather then Tether: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1553/

To copy and paste try the keyboard shortcuts like Control+C (Copy) and Control+V (Paste)

Options
2021-01-12 20:02:26

@AudioNut 

You could be with the same provider, in fact have two or more lines into your house on separate routers and they would be handled separately as they will have different IP addresses from your ISP. Think of the IP address from the ISP as being like a phone number.  In the router, you have an IP address for each device (something like 192.168.0.105) which is sort of like a phone extension.

Now if you used the same WIFI SSIDs in the same WIFI space/area from different routers could cause an issue. Since WIFI signal is limited maybe best case 1/2 mile, that would not be an issue in your case.  If you use different SSIDs on each router, there should be no issue having two routers in the same house.  Bear in mind when two routers are close together, using the same WIFI channels, they can cause radio interference with each other.

Many routers have an option to allow for remote sign in.  See your user guide. Most turn it off for security reasons.

I have an Apple computer and I just highlight the text I want to copy, use command c to copy and command v to paste. Also if you sign on to this forum, click on your user id (top right) you get a selection where you can see your previous posts.

Options