Archer AX50 LAN ports suddenly stuck at 100mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-12 11:12:45 - last edited 2021-08-06 03:38:05
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20200708 rel.55037(4555)

I've had my Archer AX50 router for almost a year now and was purchased due to Virgin Media's Modem Router not giving a steady connection. The addition of the Archer AX50 has made our connection so much more stable and massively improved the Wifi also but over the last week our wonderful 350mpbs internet speeds have been reduced to a meager 90mbps. I've factory reset both the Archer and the Virgin Media router and tested the VM router by itself before switching it back to Modem mode and this resulted in the full 380mbps connection speed we are used to. When I plugged the Archer back in to the VM router I managed to get around 280mpbs (A whole 100mbps less) and it dropped more and more as I added new devices to the network, which it hasn't done before. Now just to let you know that I've not added any new devices at all between when it was working fine and then not so fine.

A little background on our setup:
So I have a VM router connected to the Archer in Modem mode. Our connection is the VM 350+.
When then have all ports on the Archer filled with devices such as our TV, PS4, Philips HUE hub and then a 50m cat 6 Ethernet cable going upstairs to a small Netgear dumb Gb Switch.
The Netgear Gigabit switch then has my PC, my partners PC and our WD My Cloud NAS drive connected to it, all using Cat 6 cables.

Now the cable that was running from the VM router to the Archer was a Cat 5.e and saw this might cause an issue so I changed it to a Cat 6 but I'm still getting the same issues.

I've also checked on the AX50's settings and all the LAN ports are set to 100mpbs Full Duplex for some reason when everything bar the TV and the Philips Hue is running a Cat 6 cable and has the ability to receive 1gb at the other end.

Anyone got any ideas on this as it's driving me nuts that my download speeds have dropped so badly. Yet the upload speed remains solid!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer AX50 LAN ports suddenly stuck at 100mbps-Solution
2021-08-05 07:37:01 - last edited 2021-08-06 03:38:05

@TVP74 I never got around to getting a new router. They were out of stock for a long while. But it wasn't needed in the end as it turned out my cat had taken a couple of nicks out of our cable going upstairs which seemed to cause the issues. So after a new cable and a router reset it's all working perfectly fine again.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:Archer AX50 LAN ports suddenly stuck at 100mbps
2021-03-12 14:10:36

@Psyzor 

When you drop to 100 mbps, the first suspect is the cable or its connectors as 100 uses four conductors and faster speeds use all eight. Other posters have reported bad CAT 6 cables.

Some routers and PCs have settings for speeds that may need to be checked.

Assuming that is not the case, I would disconnect all the Ethernet and USB devices from the router and power cycle the modem, router and PC. Then connect a PC via Ethernet direct to the router and check that speed. If slow speed, bypass the router connect to the modem testing both cables to check the speed.

Also by chance are you using a VPN?

Options
2021-03-12 14:31:51

@ArcherC8 
Thanks for the info. I have also read that it's usually the cable but I find it hard to believe that all of my cables have suddenly gone bad.

I use a VPN for work but only turn it on when I need to do something remotely and then turn it off again when I'm done. But my other devices don't touch the VPN at all.

I tried rebooting the router without anything plugged in and added one device at a time because I thought it might have been a certain device that was causing the issue but nope, same issue. The speeds start off a bit higher when plugged in directly though, more around the 150-200 mark but really don't know why it would drop so low by going through a single dumb switch when it hasn't before.

Options
2021-03-12 18:15:26

@Psyzor 

You will slow to the slowest link. If the cable between the router and modem is bad, it will affect everything attached to the router and beyond.

It does sound to me that the router may be the issue since you get above 100 speed. Is the router in a well ventalated space? Has it ever overheated? Is the power good and is it protected? If you have a UPS, is the battery starting to go bad? Is the correct power adapter that came with the router plugged into the router?

Options
2021-03-12 20:05:14

@Psyzor 

One thing worth checking first is to open the router's web management interface, then navigate to Advanced → System Tools → System Parameters and scroll down to "Internet Port Negotiation Speed Setting". By default, it should be set to Auto Negotiation; however in this case, it may be worth forcing it to 1000Mbps Full Duplex and testing the results.

Options
2021-03-13 11:35:34

@ArcherC8 The router does get a bit hot at times but it's in an open space in front of the TV on our TV unit. It's plugged in directly to the wall which has never had issues before.

To answer Ryan's question too, I've checked and the speed between the modem and the router is at 1000mbps full duplex so the link there is not the issue.

I contacted TP-Link yesterday and they have agreed that it is a fault in the router and they will be replacing it. Thanks for all your help guys. I'll let you know if swapping it out helps or not.

Options
2021-08-04 18:46:04

@Psyzor did the new router do the trick ? Same thign is happening to me ...nothing changed ... then boom stuck at 100mb

Options
Re:Archer AX50 LAN ports suddenly stuck at 100mbps-Solution
2021-08-05 07:37:01 - last edited 2021-08-06 03:38:05

@TVP74 I never got around to getting a new router. They were out of stock for a long while. But it wasn't needed in the end as it turned out my cat had taken a couple of nicks out of our cable going upstairs which seemed to cause the issues. So after a new cable and a router reset it's all working perfectly fine again.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-08-05 20:02:17

@Psyzor thanks for the update! 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3922

Replies: 8