New Deco x60 owner, noticing issues.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-24 14:30:25
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.5.1 Build 20210204 Rel. 50164

Hi all,

So I recently purchased a set of Deco x60's from Costco and I'm noticing some strange issues.

1. My pings when doing a speedtest used to be (on my old Asus Wifi5 router) around 12-16ms, my pings are now consistently 25+ms. I've tried changing just about every setting in the books, disabled mesh for my PC, still no change, ping is really high. When I go to DSLReports my bufferbloat is absolutely through the roof (1000+ms sometimes) unless I go into QoS and limit my wifi by over half it's potential speed (I can get 220mbps, but I have it limited to 100mbps).

2. Security setting related, I just noticed this. I was trying to get an HP printer to connect, but could not. The way I resolved that issue was changing my security setting from WPA3-Personal + WPA2-AES to WPA2-AES + WPA-TKIP. Printer connected fine after that, great. But the issue when changing that security setting is my main PC's download is chopped down by over half. When I have WPA2 enabled, my max download speed drops to 40mbps, and the pings/bufferbloat go nuts (both WPA2 and WPA2+WPA settings cause this). When I change the setting back to WPA3+WPA2, speeds back to normal.

Wondering if anybody has any thoughts on how to resolve these issues?

Thanks!

Options
5 Reply
Re:New Deco x60 owner, noticing issues.
2021-03-24 16:11:55
One additional problem, though I'm not sure it's a Deco issue. The printer I mentioned. If I have WPA3-Personal+WPA2-AES turned on, it will not connect, but if I turn on WPA2-WPA-TKIP, it'll connect. This printer isn't extremely old, it's an HP Envy 4500.
Options
2021-03-25 20:47:14

@Pigbearman 

1. When doing the ping test, if you were to only have the main Deco powered on, and then test again, are the pings the same speed?

2. The printer utilizes WPA so it will not connect to the Deco when the Deco is using WPA3/WPA2. Would it be possible to connect the printer to one of the satellite Deco nodes LAN ports

Options
2021-03-26 16:09:46 - last edited 2021-03-26 16:31:25

@Tony 

1. I just re-tested after removing the other deco's. Ping is still generally the same, 24-32 after multiple tests on my PC

2. Correct, that is what I was thinking. We are actually moving to a new house next week that will be much larger (which is why I bought the deco's :D ) But that brings in my additional comment below. When I change the encryption method to WPA2-WPA, my speeds drop drastically (from 100 that I have capped at to ~40) on my computer, and my OnePlus 7 Pro phone can barely connect (speeds on speedtest.net jump around from 2mbps down to 0, and it cannot even complete the upload process).

Here's the speedtest I just ran on my computer after removing all but main deco and changing the security to WPA2-PSK+WPA-PSK:

And after changing back to WPA3-Personal+WPA2-PSK. After making this change my phone also has no problem connecting:

Options
2021-04-09 18:20:06

@Pigbearman 

Try disabling features such as Fast Roaming, Mesh (Kasa app, tap globe icon, select a Deco unit). Swapping the node with one of the satellite nodes has helped speeds before if the current main node is causing an issue.

You can also try this firmware (Deco X60 v2): link

Mainly meant to address any disconnection/dropping issues, but may help others in your case.

Options
2021-04-09 18:24:47 - last edited 2021-04-09 18:38:46

@Tony 

Thanks Tony! I believe this issue has been resolved after I moved to a new house and now have a new ISP. My Ping is 5-8ms, and connections are working great now. I have yet to try changing the security settings though

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 769

Replies: 5