New Deco owner....few issues/requests

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-12-03 16:56:38
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

After trying the 2nd gen Eero (thoroughly unimpressed), Google WiFi and Netgear’s ORBI I decided to try out the deco. Very glad I did! I’ve owned a few TP-Link items and have never had issue with recommending them, the deco is shaping up to be no different. Before deciding to go to a mesh system I was using a Ubiquiti edgerouter lite and a single one of their wireless N waps. Whilst I could have just added some new AC waps and had a killer system I wanted to try something that didn’t have to have Ethernet pulled to add more waps. So I purchased the three aforementioned systems, but all fell short for me as I’m accustomed to traffic shaping that would allow near complete saturation of my ISP bandwidth but still allow low ping for gaming while downloading/streaming as much as I want. Deco has been the first mesh system to finally incorporate some qos that seems to be working brilliantly from my initial tests. My bufferbloat score on dslreports was a B, compared to the Fs I got with the other systems. I’d half way bet a A could be achieved if I could manually set my up/down bandwidth limits to allow a little more overhead. I suppose that would be my first feature request, manual up/down qos bandwidth limits. The second would be allowing us to determine our lan ip range. I had to redo a lot of 192.168.1.xxx ip addresses on my server, apps, etc.....very annoying. The last issue I’ve noticed is has to do with what I’d guess would be a loop back issue, not sure how else to word it....So, I have blue iris (ip security camera software) running on my server. On the same server I have a client updating my no-ip dns account ( third feature request, dynamic dns support from no-ip, etc). Now, if I put the no-ip address in the blue iris client on my iPhone and try to see the cameras whilst on my WiFi all the streams take forever to load. The same can be seen with other apps, such as using VNC from iPhone to server on my WiFi using the no-ip dns address. Everything connects, just very slow to load. However if I turn off WiFi and come into the server through the internet, every loads as normal. Also if I go back to WiFi and the use the server’s ip instead of the no-ip address everything works as it should. So I’m not sure what the issue is but it definitely didn’t do this on any of the other systems I’ve used or on my edgerouter. Aside from those few items I think I’m going to be quite pleased with this system. Overall it seems to be better than the others I tried. If these few issues are squared away and it gives me similar signal strength and data rates to the other systems then it’ll be a hands down winner as far as I’m concerned.
Options
8 Reply
Re:New Deco owner....few issues/requests
2017-12-04 17:19:38
1, Manual up/down QoS bandwidth limits, No-ip support, you should feedback to TP-Link support.
2, IP range, I hear they are planning to add this to the Deco.
3, Loopback, Port being forwarded on the Deco for the camera? check from the camera software which port it uses and forward them to the camera on the Deco.
Options
2017-12-04 18:56:14
Nah, all cameras feed to a server. Then I connect to the server via a client. It’s not just the camera app though. Other servers running on there are laggy under the conditions I described as well.
Options
2017-12-05 06:45:18
Yes the port is forwarded for the blue iris software. The cameras are communicating as they should with blue iris. It has to do solely with using my no-ip address whilst on my network. Change to the actual address of the server and thing work as they should or turn off WiFi and come to the server through the internet via my no-ip address and it works as it should.
Options
2017-12-05 14:03:54
A topology of your network would help understand your situation better, if you dont mind.
Options
2017-12-05 18:56:00
Motorola cable modem -> deco -> 8 port switchThe switch has one of the remaining two decos on it, my server, and then another POE switch which my IP cameras are run off of. The second deco unit is on a wireless backhaul.
Options
2017-12-06 17:58:07
Try and disable the Antivirus temporarily, see if that's going to make a difference.
If not, report this to TP-Link support, I am sure they can help you on this.
Options
2017-12-07 02:03:06
That was my first thought. Didn’t work. I’ve emailed them about it.
Options
2017-12-08 03:15:21
Ended up deciding to just go back to my Ubiquiti equipment. I’ll buy one or two Ubiquiti AC waps to update my system and call it a day. That’s what I should have done to begin with, but I like trying new stuff....hence the purchase of 4 different mesh systems. Still, tp link’s deco was my favorite mesh system I tried.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1013

Replies: 8