Why Smart Connect causing all devices to redo Wi-Fi connection?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-04-14 18:59:30
Model: Archer AX3200  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have tp-link AX3200 router that, unlike others routers that I have swapped in, required me to redo the Wi-Fi connection on all my devices even though I used the same SSID, security and password. I believe this might have been tied to Smart Connect. In set up, it made all bands the same. In testing a challenge with “Hide SSID,”  I discovered that if I disabled Smart Connect and changed an SSID on each band and then later re-enabled Smart Connect, it too caused Wi-Fi connections to be redone on a number of devices, even though the Smart Connect level was still the same SSID, security and password. I am wondering what information is stored on devices in establishing a Wi-Fi connection that makes it appear different even though it is the exact same SSID, security and password… for example is the lower level SSIDs being included in the packets, MAC is different, etc.?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Why Smart Connect causing all devices to redo Wi-Fi connection?
2021-04-15 15:36:45
Some devices will not connect to a network with the same SSID/password if it determines it is a different router. I think all devices should do that as a security feature.
Options
Re:Why Smart Connect causing all devices to redo Wi-Fi connection?
2021-04-15 17:52:55

@ArcherC8 

Certainly seemed to be true when I went from a Netgear Router to the TP-Link one as ALL devices Wi-Fi connections had to be redone.  The one thing threw me though was when I later disabled Smart Connect and changed an SSID on each band and then re-enabled Smart Connect, it too caused Wi-Fi connections need to be redone on half of the devices, even though the Smart Connect level was still the same SSID, security and password.  This is what got me wondering what Wi-Fi information is tracked by these devices that no longer matched.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 477

Replies: 2

Related Articles