Two of Four 9020 Adapters Fail Within Days of Each Other (No Power Outages or Surges Here)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Two of Four 9020 Adapters Fail Within Days of Each Other (No Power Outages or Surges Here)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-05-19 18:13:36
Model: TL-PA9020P KIT  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.2.4_902103_180511_903

Hello TPL Community -

I have had 2 of my 4 adapters fail within days of each other.  There have been no AC power outages nor surges per my UPS logs.  No, the adapters are not on the UPS, but straight into the wall sockets as recommended.

One is a Ver 3.0 ~2 years old, S/N: 

2189866A00154

and the other is Ver 3.8 ~1 year old, S/N:

2199873A01100

(Interesting that it's the "A" S/N for both failed units, not the "B" S/N)?

The remaining pair, also a Ver 3.0 and a Ver 3.8 (purchased at the same times as the above pair) are functioning properly.

Both of these adapters were "Remotes", that is, NOT connected my main PC or Router.

Symptoms:

1. Power and Ethernet LEDs were normal GREEN on both.

2. One adapter's PowerLine LED went solid RED.  The second one's PowerLine LED had alternating GREEN and RED flashes, I believe its G-G-R or R-G-G. There may have been a different sequence but I didn't get it noted before they went completely off.

3. Eventually, both of these adapters PowerLine LEDs went completely OFF, no colors or flashes at all.  Power and Ethernet remained GREEN on both.

Have tried to power them down and up several times, made no difference.  Obvious, I can't use the TPL software package to attempt to reset them since they won't Join the network.  Holding the PAIR button while powered seems to have no effect.

The overall network of 4 adapters had been functioning fine until now.

Any experiences with this situation or any other ideas?

Thanks much ...

/ss

Options
1 Reply
Re:Two of Four 9020 Adapters Fail Within Days of Each Other (No Power Outages or Surges Here)
2021-05-27 19:39:33

@SouthShore 

Hi Folks -

Here is an update to the original issue.

The network and all 4 adapters are back functioning 100%.

The 2 "failed" adapters actually did not "fail", but only needed a full (Pair-Button-Hold-15sec) reset.

Once they were reset, they both re-synched/paired and came back up correctly.

It's still a mystery as to why the 2 out of 4 adapters lost pairing and had to be reset.  Possibly some undetected voltage anomaly(?).  Per TP-Link, minimum supply voltage should be >100 vac.

My network is spread between 2 floors and now runs consistently from 190 Mbps (most distant) to 250 Mbps (next most) and 800+ Mbps on the same floor, per the tp-link utility.

My thanks to Katrina C. at TP-Link Technical Support for helping to resolve this!

Good luck with your networks!

/ss

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 373

Replies: 1