Archer C6 rebooting on connecting WAN wire

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-04 10:59:10 - last edited 2021-07-04 11:15:17
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20201117 rel.41066

I got an Archer C6 V3.20 1.0.5 Build 20201117 rel.41066 yesterday. I am facing a peculiar issue.

The router restarts constantly whenever I connect my WAN wire to the WAN port. It does this even when the PPPoE settings (user id, password and service name) are not entered. Also, the UI hangs the moment I plug in the wire - UI stops refreshing, clicking on menu keeps spinning, page refresh keeps loading. But the moment I remove the wire - the UI recovers and everything works normal. I have tried factory reset, changing DNS settings and all possible settings. Even turned off one-mesh, NAT and IPV6, but no vain.

To test if the WAN port is damaged - I tried connecting the LAN wire of my old router to the WAN of C6 and selecting network as 'Dynamic IP`. The internet works then. 

This seems to be some problem with the firmware. Any help here would be of great benefit.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Archer C6 rebooting on connecting WAN wire
2021-07-04 18:03:39

@rakzster 

Were is the 'WAN' wire coming from? A Modem or just a wall connection?

Have you tried a different cable?

Have you tried that 'WAN' wire into the old router and it still works?

Options
2021-07-04 18:27:57 - last edited 2021-07-04 18:29:06

@IrvSp 

Were is the 'WAN' wire coming from? - A Modem or just a wall connection?

The WAN wire is coming from the ISP's switch. 

Have you tried a different cable?

I can't try that as it's coming from the On premise equipment.

Have you tried that 'WAN' wire into the old router and it still works

Yes, it still works and I've switched back to the old one now - currently using that. As mentioned, I tried a LAN wire from my old router's LAN port to my new router's WAN port and it works. I suspect some firmware issue related to PPPoE. My old router is Archer C20. I have even tried that on TL-WR841N - and it works.

Options
2021-07-05 02:16:14

@rakzster 

Hi, just want to confirm, what is the model number of the ISP's switch? Who is your ISP? This sounds more like a firmware incompatiblity issue between the ISP's switch the Archer C6, we will need to confirm more information and test.

Options
2021-07-05 06:07:17

@Kevin_Z I don't know the exact model - It's from Optilink

Options
2021-07-06 02:23:59

@rakzster 

Thanks. We want to confirm again what is the detailed phenomenon when you mentioned the router restarts constantly when it is connected to the Optilink switch with cable, can we have a video short about the router LED status when the issue happens?

Meanwhile, we would like to follow up on your case via email. Please check your inbox and provide the information that we need.

Options
2021-07-06 06:16:06

@Kevin_Z I got a new one replaced. But the same is happening. I will send a video shortly.

Options
2021-07-06 07:28:30
I have replied to the mail with the video link and logs
Options
2021-07-08 06:38:32

Update - Even after replacing the router I was facing the same problem. Hence we decided to change the whole cable from the switch to my new router to rule out bad cable issues. Even after doing so the problem didn't seem to be resolved. Even tried routing it via a normal switch to the router - but same issue again.

I have now returned the router. It seems some incompatibility between TP-Link and OptiLink. The ISP technicians were baffled too with the weird behaviour. They said many customers are using C6 in their network but they are unsure of the HW version. They think the old versions are being used.

TP-Link is following up with me on email. I have sent them a detailed video, logs and other information. Will update here once a conclusion is reached.

Options
2021-07-09 12:02:11

@rakzster 

Please keep contact with the support engineers via email, and update here once there is a solutuon, thank you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 690

Replies: 9

Related Articles