AX11000 Firmware Update causing disconnects

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-11 12:48:41 - last edited 2021-07-11 12:49:45
Model: Archer AX11000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Every since the new firmware update, my 2.4G devices keep disconnecting and reconnecting at an alarming rate. The previous firmware had no such problem. I have reset the router and the same problem exists. This is exactly what happened to Asus products when they went full Aimesh. I am pretty confident that the move to OneMesh is what is causing the instability. Please make a firmware that excludes OneMesh, not just a toggle to turn it off. I have no desire for OneMesh. I only updated for the patches to vulnerabilities and the wifi stablitity that is no longer stable. 

Options
14 Reply
Re:AX11000 Firmware Update causing disconnects
2021-07-12 10:34:04

@Prof 

Just want to confirm, have you tried to reset the router to factory defaults after the firmware update? Give it a go if the 2.4G is not stable even after you modified the wireless settings, such as wireless channel and channel width.

How about the 5G and wired connection after the firmware update, are they still stable?

Options
2021-07-12 20:04:29

@Kevin_Z 

Yes. I have reset the router twice. It hasn't been 24 hours yet but so far stable. Normally it is after 24 hours where it will begin dropping clients. Before the update my devices were stable for a few weeks. Then random issues would occur and I would shut down the router. Rebooting would make the disconnects worse, so instead I just turn it off for a few minutes. After a few days if the problem still exists, I will convert the router into an AP and hook it to a wired router to see if the connections are stable. I do have about 20 devices on the 2.4 band guest network. I could move everything from the guest to the main wifi to see if in the new firmware the guest network is causing problems. The devices on the 5g band are fine. 

I use smart connect so I can't adjust the channels. I do use a wifi analyzer and do not see any massive interferenece. Again, nothing has changed in my house except the firmware update.

Options
2021-07-13 02:25:42

@Prof 

Thank you for all the details. Please try to move the 2.4G devices to the main 2.4G network, let me know if the issue persists.

Options
2021-07-13 02:56:00 - last edited 2021-07-13 02:56:13

@Kevin_Z 

Will do. Give me a few days to test. How secure is putting IOT devices on the main network? Is the internal IPS by Trend Micro enough protection?

Thank you for your help!

Options
2021-07-13 14:42:22

@Prof 

We have been having the SAME EXACT problem! Very frustrating as we just got our router on Saturday and we're excited about it and I've had to reconnect so many devices numerous times I have not even finished putting others back on my network because of the issue we keep having. I hope they can get this figured out because I'm about to send it back lol we love tp link but this is our first router from them and so far, not impressed. 

Options
2021-07-14 01:38:16

@Huffmanfam 

Hi, are your devices that disconnect from the 2.4G network connecting to the guest network or main? As Prof mentioned, his devices are connecting to the 2.4G guest network, and he is testing with the main now.

How many devices are on the 2.4G network? Try to modify the wireless security on the router to WPA2-PSK, AES, run a Wi-Fi analyzer to review the channels around, then choose a clear channel (Smart Connect should be off first) on the router to monitor.

Options
2021-07-14 02:13:43

@Kevin_Z 

Ours is the main

Options
2021-07-14 03:10:27

@Huffmanfam 

How many devices are on the 2.4G network? Try to modify the wireless security on the router to WPA2-PSK, AES, run a Wi-Fi analyzer to review the channels around, then choose a clear channel (Smart Connect should be off first) on the router to monitor.

Options
2021-07-15 12:56:15 - last edited 2021-07-15 12:57:24

@Kevin_Z 

After a few days of testing, I can confirm that moving the devices off the Guest Network did produce a more stable environment. 2+ days of solid up time on all devices. I guess at this point I need some assurance. Putting my IOT devices on the guest network to isolate them from the main network was the recommendation of the FBI. Up until this firmware, I was able to do so. Now I can't reliably. Do I even need to worry about IOT's on the Guest Network because of the Trend Micro Security suite? Will Trend Micro reliably stop any attempt from these IOT devices to infiltrate my Main network? Do I need to purchase a few extenders that support OpenWRT and create separate VLan's for the IOT devices since this router does not support VLan? I just want to be secure and follow the best practices. Your suggestions are most welcome!

Thank you Kevin for your help and support!

Options
2021-07-16 17:39:23

@Prof 

Hello Prof.  @Kevin_Z  asked me to jump in and respond to your last post as well.

Regarding your question about guest network isolation.  As long as this option is not checked the device on the guest network will not see or access anything on the local network.  The option above allows them to interact with each other but that should be it.

Regarding the TrendMicro Powered HomeCare.  The security or Antivirus portion protects against Malicious content, based on TrendMicro's database of reconzied threats.  All content that passes through the router will first go through these services and anything that is flagged will be blocked.  If someone or somehting is trying to break into the system, typically the reason why IoT is recommended to be on a isolated guest network, the IPS portion in most cases be able to detect and block the intrusion.  Finally the quarantine feature.  While the devices access isn't restricted if a device is found to be comprimies it will be automatically quaritined from the network thus protecting your other devices from being infected.  Now nothing is fool proof and these actions are only possible based on TrendMicro's datebase, which is regualarlly and automatically updated. 

No other devices should be needed.  However one thing that has me a bit concerned is the stability concern you first mentioned when you updated recently.  While all software updates do go through rigoruos testing, real world application is sometime not possible.  If you would be intrested I can refer this to our system engineering team.  They may be able to do a remote session with you and do testing that could determine if there is a bug in the software that was perviously not known.  If you are interrested please send me a message with your contact infromation and a good day you are available.  Our SE team is based in China so they do work hours opposite of US normal working hours.  They are also techincally a day ahead of us so working days for them are our Sunday through Thrusday any time after 5pm Pacific.  Just give me a day and at least a 1 hour window you are available and i will get it scheduled.  

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1942

Replies: 14