Deco M5 satellite unit will turn solid red at intermittent intervals

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-07-16 00:33:07
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.5.3

Hi deco experts,

my current network is configured in this way. Modem > Asus router > Main deco > satellite deco.

i have 1 main deco & 3 satellite deco. initially all 3 satellite deco are connected to the main using 2.4GHz as i disabled 5GHz. 

i encountered this strange situation. i noticed 1 of the satellite deco will show solid red for few seconds (more than 5 seconds) at intervals or 45 mins or more which means every 45-60 mins, this particular deco will show solid red for a few seconds and then turn green. at first i thought it is wifi coverage between this deco & the main deco so i purchased a new CAT6 cable (8 ft long) and connect between the main deco and this particular deco creating an ethernet backhaul. However, this still doesnt solve the problem. please help me...

Options
9 Reply
Re:Deco M5 satellite unit will turn solid red at intermittent intervals
2021-07-16 07:40:29

@Jovern 

Could you please switch the location of this unit with another satellite Deco so that we can check whether the issue follows with a particular unit or a specific location?

By the way, could you please do me a favor to check the signal source of the satellite units(anyone would be fine) since I remember turning off the 5ghz would not affect the wireless backhaul between Deco units;

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-07-17 16:10:33

@TP-Link 

hi,

yes you are right. I tested with 5Ghz and without, signal bar for both wireless back-hauled deco is 2 bar out of 3 (unchanged).

i tried swapping 1 of the deco with that Ethernet back-haul deco and issue remain the same, sometimes the solid red will happen.

i even went to look at the main deco and noticed it was solid red when the ethernet back-haul deco is solid red too and both would turn green the same time.

i suspect it is router or my cable between the modem and router. what could be the issue?

the asus router came with my broadband service and it is less than 1 year old.

Options
2021-07-19 02:05:36

@Jovern 

Thanks for the update.

If even the main Deco would turn red, you might need to check the internet connection on the modem and Asus router as well;

By the way, Did Deco work on the access point mode?

Options
2021-07-19 10:43:50

@TP-Link how do i check if it is working in access point mode as i just plug and play the main deco unit.

Options
2021-07-20 08:41:22

@Jovern 

Please go to Deco APP>More>Advanced>Operation mode;

The default mode is wireless router mode If you haven’t changed it before;

Thank you.

Options
2021-07-20 11:16:01

@TP-Link yes. you are right. it is wireless router mode. so my setup is modem > asus router > main deco > satellite deco.

only 1 deco (main deco) are connected to the asus router.

Options
2021-07-21 01:33:35

@Jovern 

Did you check whether the Asus router has the same unstable intervals as well?

Or whether the devices connected to the Asus router directly have the same issue?

By the way, what is the model number of your Asus router?

Options
2021-07-23 12:15:07

@TP-Link i made a mistake.. the router is not Asus. my latest router is TP-Link AC1350. also, weirdly enough, for pass 3 days, there wasnt any red light on satelitte or main deco so i do not have a chance at observing if the TP-link router is disconneected wheen the deco units are.

Options
2021-07-25 05:43:15

@TP-Link finally yesterday i caught the deco unit with solid red,  i immediately ran down to my TP-link router and noticed all 3 lights were green. if internet was down, the right most green icon will turn red. also i went to purchase a new 8M cable to replaced my old 10M cable between my modem & router to remove the possibility of cable issue. however, after all this changes, i noticed this morning, the solid red still happens but the router was all green. 

need your advice.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 710

Replies: 9