Solved: Having Issues with your Sonos Speakers and TP-Link Deco Mesh?

2021-07-23 18:00:55 - last edited 2022-05-05 21:56:31

We have seen a common issue related to Sonos speakers and Mesh networks.  Not just TP-Link Mesh like Deco or OneMesh but in general.  In doing some research on Sonos website and community, we found that this is a known concern.  What we found is the following: 

On Sonos system requirements page it states on a foot note that: “In WiFi mesh networks, Sonos products must be wired to the primary mesh node if using a wired setup”

So, if you are having connection issues, please try to setup your Sonos speakers this way.  Also, another option that was posted on a community thread is using their Sonos Boost device.  From what we can gather this device is a WiFi extender specially for the Sonos speaker system.  We cannot state if this option will work or not, but the Sonos community has it marked as an Answer on the thread. 

Please know that TP-Link cannot endorse any of these solutions and do recommend you still reach out to Sonos for any support beyond these suggestions.

*Screenshots provided as we are unable to link 3rd party sites

Options
8 Reply
Re:Solved: Having Issues with your Sonos Speakers and TP-Link Deco Mesh?
2021-10-15 11:31:00

I recently purchased Deco X20 and had problems with my Sonos. It has a lot to do with which Sonos app you're using. Sonos is having issues with the Sonos S2 app. I am not tech savvy at all so I called Sonos tech support. I wish I could remember everything they had me do but most important they had me connect one of my Sonos devices with Ethernet cord. I know this isn't much help but it may not be the Deco or you but the Sonos app and you need to call Sonos support. They were very patient and helpful. 

Options
2022-11-28 01:13:22 - last edited 2022-11-28 01:15:04

@Carl 

Hello, I have a sonos move and a tp-link AX3000 Archer AX55 and was able to successfully set it up with the following config:

• I disabled the guest network initially (not sure if this is relevant or not). 
  • I also disabled the 5Ghz band on the primary SSID initially
  • OneMesh is disabled
  • IPv6 is disabled
  • I'm using a reserved IP address for my music libary in SONOS via DHCP settings
  • Likely not relevant - b.ut I'm using Century Link 1G fiber.  On the IPTV/VLAN tab I'm in USA-CenturyLink mode (internet connection type PPPoE)

After getting Sonos iOS app working with the Sonos Move, I enabled guest network with a different SSID and also the 5Ghz for the primary SSID.

Good luck

Options
2023-08-14 09:16:24

@scottnasello Thank you so much for posting this! Factory resetting the Sonos and disabling the 5Ghz band on the Deco during setup was the winner for me.

Options
2023-09-09 16:15:50

@Carl I had the same issue when I set up my Decco mesh. I plugged two of my 9 Sonos Plays directly into the main Decco and a sattelite. In the Sonos app, under Network, I changed the default SonosNet channel from 11 to 1. All works great now. 

Options
2023-11-25 00:28:48

@StdPoo Thanks - just bought X50 and was dismayed that my Sonos wouldn't work. Just plugging one of them directly to the router instantly solved the problem.

Options
2023-12-31 15:47:06

@Carl I have the TPLink Archer AX90 plus 5 other mesh extenders. Yup 5!!! Thinking the issue why all my Sonos were bouncing in and out was due to insufficient coverage. Then after trying every possible recommendation out there, I discovered the Advance Wireless setting that allowed me to change the 2.4GHz bands from b/g/n/ax to just b/g/n after setting the channel to auto, the band to only use 20MHz didn’t help.

Options
2024-01-01 00:05:44

@WesGardner Worked perfectly! 

Options
2024-01-02 16:14:01

Thank you everyone for the update and suggestions that it appears have helped other users. Originally this was about compatibility with Mesh systems in general but some of you reported having issues with traditional routers as well.   Please continue to add anything that worked for you.  We will continue to test and if we find something we will let everyone know. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 21068

Replies: 8