Deco without NAT

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco without NAT

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco without NAT
Deco without NAT
2021-07-28 01:49:11

I have DECO M5 and currently have it running in bridge mode connected to a ubiquiti edge router.  I want to use some of the features that seem to only be available in router mode.  The problem is if I put the Deco into router mode all my ubiquiti sees is the NAT'd address from the DECO router and I want it to show individual IP stats from the wireless network plus I want firewall rules for the individual wifi IP's but all I see is  NAT'd address from the DECO router.

I don't seem to be able to turn of NAT on the Deco M5 router.  I know that all the Deco's are compatible, is there another model that I can swap out as the router that does allow me to turn of NAT?

P.S. the ubiquit is doing the NAT for the internet access.

Options
6 Reply
Re:Deco without NAT
2021-07-28 02:49:06

@gunna 

Hi, the NAT is enabled under router mode by default for all Deco models(Deco M3W not included.)

Currently, adding the DHCP on/off switch under router mode does more harm than good so the initial request has not been approved.

If other users have the same request, please comment here with your reasons for the feature.

And the wireless router, like the Archer series, would be a workaround if you have to turn off the DHCP.

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-08-16 17:23:38

@TP-Link 

I have the same problem and very much interested in this feature, please add me to the list of requestors.

I have upstream gateways which also require visibility of the original IP address,  but need to keep router mode enabled for QOS of wireless clients.

I also note this is a fairly common question,  a few other threads on this site with similar questions eg, 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/264516

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/177504

Thanks.

Options
2022-02-02 22:45:50

I support this request as well.

My use case is the following:

Two ISP a Tp-link 470t load balancer in front of 5 deco x60. I want to use the antivirus feature provided by deco but I need to route some of the deco clients to a specific ISP (they are a set of skyq decoders so they need to be seen under a common ISP)

Options
2022-02-28 06:25:25
My ISP requires that I use their router to be able to use a landline phone. I want to be able to use the Deco features that are only available in router mode but I get NAT issues with things like Windows Update and Xiaomi Cloud. I can't figure out how to use only the Deco DHCP server with my particular setup, but if I could turn it off instead and just use the ISP router's DHCP it would make things a lot easier and probably fix some of problems I've been having.
Options
2022-05-30 17:32:04

I also require the feature of ad-hoc mesh networking with NAT turned off, in bridging mode. The ISP provides a router with NAT, I don't want a second one as it prevents access between servers and devices in my home network. I don't want to run the Deco routers in the hotspot mode because I don't have a high-speed backbone network available.

Options
2022-05-30 22:58:39

i'm suprised this isnt more of a supported capability.  You can get rid of the NAT by using AP mode but at the expense of a number of features (see below).  For me this is a non issue as I am a Cyber Security person so my hime network is locked down pretty well.  The one thing I do miss out on in AP mode is the capability to vlan on the wifi.  This is something I really need.

Seems a small ask to have an option to disable automatic NAT (maybe hidden away so your average user doesnt turn it on accdientally and kill their internet).

This one lacking feature is probably going to be what makes we replace the entire Deco system which is a pity becuase its been itherwsie flawless and other competitors I have setup like Orbi and COVR have been less that stable.

Features

Router mode supported

AP mode supported

Test Internet Speed

Yes

Yes

Network Optimization

Yes

Yes

Backlist

Yes

Yes

Update Deco

Yes

Yes

WPS

Yes

Yes

Monthly Report

Yes

Yes

Managers

Yes

Yes

Fast Roaming

Yes

Yes

Beamforming

Yes

Yes

LED Control

Yes

Yes

Operation Mode

Yes

Yes

Connection Alerts

Yes

Yes

Smart Actions

Yes

Yes

Antivirus

Yes

No

Parental Control

Yes

No

QoS

Yes

No

HomeShield

Yes

No

IPv4/IPv6/LAN IP/DHCP server/MAC Clone

Yes

No

IPTV/VLAN

Yes

No

Address Reservation

Yes

No

Port Forwarding

Yes

No

DDNS

Yes

No

SIP ALG

Yes

No

UPnP

Yes

No

Notifications

Support Update Firmware, Security Database Updated, Antivirus Alerts, Parental Controls, Monthly Report, and Device Alerts notifications

Support Update Firmware, Monthly Report, and Device Alerts n

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 3709

Replies: 7

Related Articles