Channel Optimization

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Channel Optimization

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Channel Optimization
Channel Optimization
2021-09-08 20:39:37
Model: Deco X68  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20210519 Rel. 36755

All comments is that the Deco X68 auto optimizes the Wifi Channel. It is not auto optimizing. I can see with wifi analyzer that in fact what is likely the most congested band was selected. Is there anyway to get the X68 to move to a different band? Posts from other Deco models indicate that they have a network analyzer function, there does not seem to be one for the X68.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Channel Optimization
2021-09-09 06:38:06

@NJC 

Hi, the network optimization feature will be added with the firmware upgrade.

What is your current wireless channel for 2.4ghz and 5ghz?

Is there any problem when Decos are on the current channel?

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-09-09 20:55:53

@NJC A snapshot of the channel spread in my condo:

My 2.4, which is where the majority of my devices are running (iot devices) is running on channel 7 which as you can see is the most congested. I'm having problems with iot devices dropping out and having to be reset to reconnect them.That's not an issue I was having with my previous router which I had on channel 4 which is relatively uncrowded.

The 5GHz is running on channel 40 and 153 which again are congested but not as much. Being able to move the channels would be extremely desirable

Options
2021-09-10 01:54:20

@NJC 

Thank you very much for the update.

In this way, could you please provide me more details about the disconnection on the IoT devices so that I could consult the engineers whether there is any other solution?

What are the model numbers of these smart IoT devices?

How many do you have?

How often did they drop the connection?

And there are some suggestions for your reference:

1. Turn off the Mesh technology for these IoT devices.

2. If possible, enable the guest network with a different SSID for 2.4ghz only and connect all the IoT devices to the guest network.

Options
2021-09-10 17:31:43

@TP-Link There are about 20 devices scattered around the house: Google minis, Wemo switches, Wyze cameras, Chromecast devices, HP network printer. The primary issue is with the Google minis. About once a day 1 or 2 of the minis (the specific mini varies), declares that it is unconnected. A reboot of the mini is required to get the connection back.

The fact that it happens once a day, usually overnight, leads me to wonder whether it is related to lease renewal. Unfortunately there is no setting for specifying the lease time. As an experiment I have reserved IP addresses for all the IoT devices.

The issue with using the guest network is that it would isolate communication between my devices, at least I presume that Guest is isolated from the mesh network. If Chromecast is on guest and my laptop is on the mesh, I can't cast. If Chromecast is on the mesh and the Google Minis are on guest, then I can't control Chromecast from the minis. It really is not viable to isolate IoT to Guest.

There are other mesh devices that support creating multiple SSIDs on the same network. In those devices I can have a 2.4 and 5 mesh with SSID "main", a second 2.4 wth SSID "IoT". Both "main" and "IoT" would be on the same network and cross communication possible. There would then be "Guest" which is an isolated network. This would be a desirable feature for Deco that would likely address the issues with "low cost" IoT devices that run 2.4 only.

Options