Can I set up 2 separated mesh networks in AP mode coming from the same router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-09-10 09:51:26 - last edited 2021-09-24 09:56:53
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi.

I have a tp link router TL R-605 which I use as a failover and load balancer router with 2 WAN inputs. It manages my DHCP.

I connected to it a 3 pack of deco X60 in AP mode and their Ethernet Backhaul is working great.

I wanted to know if it is possible to create another wired AP mesh network with a 3 pack of deco M4s with different password and Ethernet Backhaul in parallel to the existing mesh. Will that work or will it clash with the existing x60 mesh backhaul?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can I set up 2 separated mesh networks in AP mode coming from the same router? -Solution
2021-09-13 03:53:05 - last edited 2021-09-24 09:56:53

@Itzik2sh 

Hi, It is ok that you set up both Deco M4 kit and Deco X60 kit under access point mode and connect behind TL-R605.

So Each Deco kit could have its own SSID and password, and both two separate Mesh networks would get IP addresses from TL-R605 directly.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
Re:Can I set up 2 separated mesh networks in AP mode coming from the same router?
2021-09-11 15:59:06

@Itzik2sh

Yes you can. 

You will need to change the Subnet on one so that they are both not on the default 192.168.68.0 network. 

During setup just choose another IP range, 192.168.x.0

Options
Re:Can I set up 2 separated mesh networks in AP mode coming from the same router?
2021-09-11 16:11:16 - last edited 2021-09-22 14:19:33

@DAServices 

Thanks for answering!

I'm not sure there's anywhere to configure anything in Access Point mode and I can't use Router mode since the TL R605 already manages my DHCP.

Also my network topology is not where decos are connected to one another, they're all connected through switches to the same router.

Options
2021-09-12 18:54:33

@Itzik2sh 

Sorry I missed that your DHCP was on a separate router, and that you wanted to set up the two deco mesh as Access Points, off of the same router. 

If you want two differentiated Mesh networks, then each has to be on a separate Subnet with it's own DHCP. 

I would suggest that you turn off the AP functions on your current router, set it into bypass mode, add small inexpensive switches where needed and configure both Deco as full routers instead of just APs. 

Options
Re:Can I set up 2 separated mesh networks in AP mode coming from the same router? -Solution
2021-09-13 03:53:05 - last edited 2021-09-24 09:56:53

@Itzik2sh 

Hi, It is ok that you set up both Deco M4 kit and Deco X60 kit under access point mode and connect behind TL-R605.

So Each Deco kit could have its own SSID and password, and both two separate Mesh networks would get IP addresses from TL-R605 directly.

Recommended Solution
Options
2021-09-20 14:22:46 - last edited 2021-09-21 03:58:27

I did that (connected 2 separated deco networks - 3pack of x60 and 3pack of m4 each with its own SSID, both in wired AP mode coming out if the same router) and it's working well.

However, I'm facing a new problem, where the longest cable I have at home is between 2 stories - the cable is marked as 'CAT 5e' but still can't surpass 100mbit (I have a 500mbit plan). I realized it may be falsely marked and established a new cable of Cat7. If I connect a computer to the end of this CAT7 cable I'm getting 500mbit, but if I connect this cat7 side to the switch instead of the old cat 5e, it causes ip conflicts and killing internet, untill I return the old cat 5e and turn off and on each of the deco m4s.

Any ideas? Should I create a second dhcp server? Should I give up and make them one mesh (will need to reconfigure 15 smart devices...)

Options
2021-09-22 02:38:59

@Itzik2sh 

Hi, would you be kind to send me a picture of your current network topology, such as:

TL-R605—network switch—all 3*Deco X60+3*M4 in AP mode connected to the same switch.

Which cable did you want to replace?

And How did you find there was an IP conflict? Would there be any error message?

Thank you.

Options
2021-09-22 05:08:23 - last edited 2021-09-22 14:22:11

@TP-Link 

I moved in to my parents house during COVID-19 situation and I didn't want to mess with either of our WiFi SSID for the impact on all smart devices. we each have ~15.

I also decided I want to add WiFi 6 support for myself so I bought the x60 and installed them the m4.

here's the network topology:

when switching the orange line from "Cat5e" (which I suspect is actually only Cat5) to the new Cat7 - a computer connected to the first target switch says "no internet" and the deco m4 network says "unable to obtain IP". (when connecting the Cat7 cable directly to a computer - I get good solid 500mbit connection).

I was thinking to power off all deco m4s, just to see if they are the source of problem and connect a PC to the last switch in the topology to confirm that.

If I have no choice I will convert all m4s to the same SSID as the X60s, but I was hoping to avoid that.

Thanks.

Options
2021-09-24 03:16:55

@Itzik2sh 

Hi, Thank you very much for the detailed pictures.

How about now and after powering off the Deco M4s, Did the same issue start again?

I think it might be related to the smart DHCP feature on the access point mode. During the cable switching process, the network system for the 2nd story has no DHCP server detected so that M4 enabled its own DHCP and start assigning IP addresses. Normally it would not last more than 5-10 minutes after switching the cable. And you could also manually unplug all 3 M4s from the 2nd story network, make sure the switches are back to be online first, then connect the M4 back.

Options
2021-09-24 09:55:31 - last edited 2021-09-24 09:56:22

@TP-Link 

Ok, so the issue was with the 2nd story infrastructure between switches. It just couldn't handle the traffic above 100 mbit.

It had nothing to do with the deco system.

I now ordered 3 sets of cat7 ethernet cables. It should fix the issue. Thanks a lot for the quick responses!

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 1248

Replies: 9